Any gains from changing my DefTech boxes for custom ones?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Well, after building my IB manifold (and waiting patiently for the room it'll be installed in to be finished [​IMG]) I was thinking... I've read time and time again that mass-built speaker boxes impart colorations into the midrange because of their poor bracing and build quality.

And then I saw Parts Express' pre-built boxes and got an idea. My speakers are bipolar, so I have two midranges and 2 tweeters. What if I used those two midranges and one tweeter on an MTM configuration? Would I realize any sonic benefits?

I took a long look at my current boxes. They aren't braced at all, and if I give them the "knuckle rap" test, they sound hollow, thin, and with lots of resonance.

Opinions?

2. Greg Risley

Greg Risley Second Unit

I actually did just what you are talking about doing. I have had 2 Def. Tech. BP-10 towers that I really like so I set out to get the perfect center. I purchased a freight damaged BP-10 (the lower half of the cabinet was crushed but the speaks were okay), and put the guts into an MTM speaker housing. Long story short, I have never been happy with the sound. I personally feel that Def. Tech. builds some of the better cabinets out. Just my 2 cents.

Greg

3. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

Greg, thanks for the info! Why didn't you like the sound? How was it different from the original BP-10 sound?

I own the BP-8's, which are not a front / rear MTM design, though. They are only TM.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Javier,

If they were not designed as an MTM speaker to begin with, you'll likely get much worse sound than in their current configuration. If you like the sound but would like sturdier cabinets then simply rebuild the existing cabinets and leave the driver layout as it is. Or simply add some bracing to the existing enclosures.