any further insulation(?) on 12AWG needed?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Takosan, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Takosan

Takosan Stunt Coordinator

I finally went to HomeDepot today & boguht 100ft of 12AWG speaker cables. I will be running about 20ft to each rear surrounds underneath in a crawlspace that gets pretty cold . Do I need to have the cable run through any other tubing (metal or other) in the crawl space?
    TIA,
    Takosan

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

No. You shouldn't need to further insulate the wire. I would however check the labeling on the wire to verify it is rated CL2 or even better CL3 prior to installing it. That should keep you within fire code. Once you run the wire up from the crawl space, you may wish to caulk the wire's entry point to seal the wall from drafts and insects.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

3. Takosan

Guy,
    Thanx. I feel a little worried b/c the cable, as far as I can tell, does not have any labeling on it. I guess HomeDepot itself might be able to tell me ...
    So a speaker wire can become a fire hazard (sorry for the dumb question)?
    Takosan

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

In wall installation requires either CL2 or CL3 rated insulation on the wire. This is a fire rating which is needed to pass electrical code. Should there be a fire and your insurance investigator decide that your wiring was a factor, use of non-in wall rated wiring installed in the wires could cause you problems. The rating is that the insulation won't spread a fire.
    In terms of the wire catching alight just because you are using them to run a speaker, it would be very very unlikely. It's just that a non-rated wire could spread a fire or produce more fumes during a fire.
    Home Depot does have CL2 rated 12 gauge speaker wire on a spool. Take back the original spool and pick up a rated one. The rating is almost always in small print on the wire. The sales droids won't be of great help. Look for the actual printed info on the wire or packaging.
    ------------------
    Guy Kuo
    www.ovationsw.com
    Ovation Software, the Home of AVIA DVD

5. Takosan

Guy,
    I went up to HomeDepot before I read your latest reply ... the guy who cut my 100ft didn't know what 'CL' rating was . So did my own investigation. The cable does not have any prints on it but the metal spool does have the following:
    W-5312-250-CL
    250 ft 12/2 CL2 spk. wire
    ... I think I'm fine ;-)
    Thanx for all the help. Learned something new though this all & will help me when doing home improvements.
    Takosan