Any Floridians?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John*K, Feb 20, 2004.

1. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

My folks have been talking about buying a house in sunny Florida. Beach condo. Any advice on how to shop for a home while out-of-state?

2. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

3. Peter-PP

Peter-PP Stunt Coordinator

My retired parents bought a very nice condo about 6 years ago in Sunrise (west Broward county, FL) and their property value has more than doubled since then. Property value down there is shooting through the roof!

4. John*K

John*K Stunt Coordinator

They just gave me a list:

Naples, Fort myers, cape coral, east naples, Sanibel,Marco Island

I've heard that property value is increasing alot.

5. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

My parents live in Port Charlotte, just above Ft. Myers. I love it there.

6. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Ft Meyer's is the retiree area, big time! just about every person living there is elderly.

Naples is also a big retiree spot but it is vey wealthy and you practically need to be wealthy to live there.

Cape Coral is ok, not my kind of place. It is right near Ft. Meyer's and the beaches. You can get good property there but the problem with it is that since it's like it's own little island or inlet you have to pay money to use the bridge everytime you come in or leave from there.

Sanibel is pretty nice but I can't say to much about it because I've hardly been there.

Hope this helps.

7. Eric_L

Eric_L Screenwriter

Some people call Naples 'Heaven's waiting room"

Port Charlotte is where their parents live.

[​IMG]

Actually, Naples is costly, Ft Myers is a little less so, and Port Charlotte is even less so, all they way to North port, then values increase as you near Sarasota.

There is not much to do in Charlotte / North Port but golf, fish and go to chain restaurants.

Naples and Ft. Myers have more to do, partucilarly for the younger set.

I may be able to scout a few Realtors in the area for you if you narrow the area a bit. You also may just want to call an office and ask to speak with their top listing agent.

Many of the Realtors here tell me they sell quite a few homes through their online advertising. I'm sure you could get a few leads explored online before ever setting foot in town.

As far as picking a town... well the various posts here sum it up well. If cost is most important go for the smaller communities, if it is less of an object then consider the larger ones.

8. Tim Holyoke

Tim Holyoke Second Unit

My family has vacationed on Sanibel a couple times. It seemed to be more older people than young families, but I really liked it. Good beaches and not so much of "built up" feel as nearby Ft. Myers. I suspect if you lived there, you would do a lot of your shopping in Ft. Myers. But the island itself is very clean, everybody seemed really friendly, and the only hotels are along the Gulf side, I believe. Quite a few smaller restaurants. Lots of walking/biking paths, and the "Ding" Darling National Wildlife Refuge is there as well, which is nice. I think it may be a bit more expensive than the average retirement community in Florida, not sure though.