What's new

Any Floridian HTF Members Preparing for Irma? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like an awful situation. Heard of wind speeds from 130-185 mph. That is amazing. We got wind of over 100 mph. in a rare windstorm in the NW near Idaho.

For me, blew down a tree and destroyed my carport, no power for two weeks, no phone/internet for two months. Had to happen in November, so no heat and was not comfortable here in the NW. We'd had a big ice storm in '96, so switched to a gas furnace and water heater, so could at least take hot showers. Thankfully a neighbor with a chainsaw cut up the tree for firewood because I couldn't even get out of my yard.

Other people had their cars and houses crushed. So strange to see tow trucks taking away cars that were literally flattened by trees. Had to zig-zag through the streets because so many trees had blown over.

One neighbor had a tree fall right through the house. Ended up being demolished and was just rebuilt earlier this year.

I think Florida is getting it far worse, but I understand what they're going through.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Maria apparently broke the Puerto Rico weather radars, so here's a recent satellite pic.

ir0-lalo.gif

Last edited:

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Just arrived from Las Vegas yesterday, always a great trip for me (and I'm not a gambler).... now facing a direct hit from Cat 5 hurricane Maria within 5 hours. Working off my Personal Hotspot on my iPhone with very slow speeds since Cable Internet connection I have (300 Megas) is down already. Will try to keep you guys posted.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Just arrived from Las Vegas yesterday, always a great trip for me (and I'm not a gambler).... now facing a direct hit from Cat 5 hurricane Maria within 5 hours. Working off my Personal Hotspot on my iPhone with very slow speeds since Cable Internet connection I have (300 Megas) is down already. Will try to keep you guys posted.
Raul,

Stay safe and keep us posted.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We live in swf.
Prepared for the worst.

That didn't happen to us and now we have to figure out
How to repair the handful of things that our ridiculously high
Deductible doesn't cover.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
All I keep hearing is that power has been out to the ENTIRE ISLAND.

Unfortunately, that's absolutely true. My mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law live in the San Juan area and the power is gone, and communication is iffy. I feel lucky in the sense that we've been able to get a quick phone call and/or text message once or twice a day since the storm hit, as I know some people are in areas where they're not able to get even the slightest bit of signal to get a message out.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
It gets quickly miserable. When I got hit by hurricane Rita here in Texas back in 2005, I was without power and water for almost five weeks. I stuck through it, eating cold food out of cans, and washing myself via a bar of soap and a neighbor's grungy swimming pool. Mosquitoes all around, and hot sultry nights made it difficult to get a good sleep. I feel for those in PR.

The destruction around here from Harvey's flooding this past month is huge. We got about 47 inches of rain. I was lucky, since my house and neighborhood block is on an ever-so-slightly higher elevation, and also the town's water pumps luckily kept up with the deluge. But just a few blocks over, and there are hundreds and hundreds of homes, all gutted, with huge piles of ruined carpeting, drywall, furniture, etc., all strewn out in their yards. It's just a massive mess. Even worse, I talked to an acquaintance of mine who works at the grocery store, and not only did she lose everything, but her best friend was driving a truck in the rising flood during the night and got swept away and drowned. Harvey was a real rough hit on the area.

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
First of all we are fine and our apartment survived as well. Still without power (and water since we need power to pump the water from the building's cistern), the building's power plant broke down and was fixed this afternoon. So we will have power and water on an emergency schedule sor around 7-8 hrs daily. No real internet yet or cable TV, working off my iPhone's Personal Hotspot today finally since all cellular communications were down.
This is the greatest natural disaster this island has faced in over 100 years. Some say that it will take months to have power restored fully.
I've been on call at my hospital which is right across from my apartment (by design.... to make things easier for me) and we had to close the E/R yesterday since we could not properly treat patients with limited resources. Just yesterday I performed two emergency procedures, a chest tube for a collapsed lung in an 83 y/o lady, and an exploratory laparotomy due to an intestinal obstruction, and between the heat from limited A/C and staff shortage these became more difficult.
A curfew is in effect from 7pm to 5am. At times I feel like we are in a war zone due to the devastation.
I'll try to post some pictures soon.
Thanks to all for caring.
Raul

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Glad to hear you're OK physically at least. Excellent news on that front, but the personal pictures I was sent in addition to News pics I've seen so far are so far beyond tragic as to close to unimaginable.

I'm still waiting to hear something from some friends on the Leewards that have been completely cut off since Tuesday night.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We just found out the hospital my wife works at fired a bunch of people for not showing up for work during the two days after the hurricane.

Today those people were told they aren’t fired but are being written up.

My wife was expected back on that Tuesday but was always in touch with her manager and all parties were aware of when she would be able to return which was Wednesday.

We were physically unable to be at our house and in the city before Wednesday.

My wife wasn’t fired but was written up.

This came down from the ceo of the hospital.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Sigh...it's amazing and sad how in the face of such generosity and spirit from communities trying to heal and come together after disaster and tragedy that there's always a story like this to remind you that some people are just jerks.

Sorry your wife (and you) have had to deal with that on top of the more pressing hardships.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a really good story for the local (or national) TV News to get ahold of somehow.

They just love Evil Corporate villians jackbooting poor innocent victim stories. My guess is all those written reports will be rescinded with a massive apology and "just a miscommunication" excuses will fly when they are spotlighted as grinding the heel into the fresh wound of injured hospital workers.

Many of those folks just can't help themselves it seems from self inflicted injuries.

Might now only get the innocents off the hook, but the Corporation may end up donating a lot of extra dollars to the local relief effort. Maybe the whole administration can be lent out to Raul's hospital to provide their expert opinions for a month or 3 -- not that I would wish a gaggle of worthless administrators (yes I realize that's redundant) on an already tragic situation, but maybe they can clear debris for a few weeks and at least accomplish something. Even better scrubbing port-a-potties for a month or two -- Cleaning instead of dealing it.

Last edited:

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
We just found out the hospital my wife works at fired a bunch of people for not showing up for work during the two days after the hurricane.

Today those people were told they aren’t fired but are being written up.

My wife was expected back on that Tuesday but was always in touch with her manager and all parties were aware of when she would be able to return which was Wednesday.

We were physically unable to be at our house and in the city before Wednesday.

My wife wasn’t fired but was written up.

This came down from the ceo of the hospital.

Where was this? Florida?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks