What's new

Any firm specs on Muppet Christmas Carol? (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Wow...and it's not even going to be in the deleted scenes? Say...where are the promised deleted scenes, anyway? I know that people have been wanting to see "Room in Your Heart" and "Chairman of the Board" for a decade. Oh well...just another indication that Disney has become a big fuckup when working on non-animated/post-Walt titles on DVD. It seems they just don't care...and yet they will never let go of the rights to these movies.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Without "The Love Is Gone", this film would be nowhere near as good as the three Muppet films Henson made.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I can't believe that 'Love is Gone' wasn't in the theatrical version. That's a great song. Disney is making a BIG mistake with this release.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that 'Love is Gone' wasn't in the theatrical version.
Neither could I. I had bought the soundtrack CD well in advance of seeing the movie, and I loved that song. When I saw the theatrical version, I knew the song was upcoming -- but then it was inexplicably (and badly) cut out, with a jarring edit right as the female lead is about to sing. If you see the movie on TV, it's still missing (as it apparently will be on the DVD).
Apparently the European theatrical version had "When Love Is Gone," so this will be quite a shock if the DVD in the UK is edited as well.

Sarah S

Second Unit
Thanks for the info about Treasure Island being OAR...I'll order that from R2 instead & wait for the final word on Muppet Christmas Carol.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
This is really distressing me. I can't stand to buy any more P&S only DVD's (out of the 76 I own, two are P&S only). How's the LD?

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This is really distressing me. I can't stand to buy any more P&S only DVD's (out of the 76 I own, two are P&S only). How's the LD?
Steve, the pressing was good (Image did it over in Japan), though the movie's rather dark cinematography was the kind that's problematic when transferring to home video. Overall it was good, and I never remember the movie looking a whole lot better in theaters.
The framing, meanwhile, IS perfect: 1.85 with area added to the left and right edges that's cropped out in the P&S version. Like a lot of Muppet flicks, this is a hard matte, meaning in the P&S version, you DON'T gain anything on the top and bottom (which you might in some 1.85 transfers being umatted for 1.33:1), and rather lose significantly on the edges.
Soundtrack (Dolby Surround) is terrific and it's the 89 minute version, as well...can't go wrong if you can find a copy.

Brenton

Screenwriter
If the DVD is 1.33:1 and lacks "The Love Is Gone", me buying the DVD would a step down from my old VHS tape. The tape may be 1.33:1, but at least it has "The Love Is Gone". I wonder if Eisner realizes that he is making Disney a laughing stock among film buffs and home theater enthusiasts.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the DVD has "The Love is Gone." The running time stated everywhere, including the package, is 89 minutes.

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
Ah, another widescreen laserdisc that made a beautiful DVD-R this very evening. Non-anamorphic, sure, but scaling in my playback DVD player fixes that on my 16:9 screen. I whipped up a custom DVD cover from the LD package elements; I already have an empty white case for it. And faster than you can say "ala peanut butter sandwiches"...

Disney misses a $20 opportunity for me to upgrade.

And I really wanted the commentary and extras.
NO OAR = No Thanks, Disney!

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
What you could do is rip the extras off of the disc, and put them on your DVD-R with the widescreen laser transfer...

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
No, actually, I couldn't because the DMR-E30 can't do multiple audio tracks. And I don't have a PC burner.

I will look for this title used in the future, and put that disc and my widescreen DVD-R into a slim double case. That way i'll have:

1)the film in its correct aspect ratio

2)access to the extras and commentary

3)denied Di$ney direct profit, since I'll purchase the disc used, not new...

Now, to start on Muppet Treasure Island.

(And, of course, to keep within the fair use, personal back-up area of legality...I will keep the lasers on the shelf.)

John Simon

Second Unit
I have a question for those who bought this DVD: aside from the OAR issue, how is this disc? I've been considering buying it as the holiday season approaches, but I couldn't find any reviews online about the transfer quality or the extra features. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Andy_MT

Second Unit
...I've been considering buying it as the holiday season approaches...
WALK TOWARDS THE LIGHT !!!!!!!!
don't let them at the disney black tower win you over to the dark side (non-OAR)
seriously though, santa might be visiting region 2 this year with an OAR version. there aren't any definite AR specs out yet, but i've hung up my stocking just in case :)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
And give them a call and an email (see signature) and let them know how you are just a REGULAR consumer (don't brag about your techy HT expertise) and how you and your FAMILY are so dissapointed about the lack of widescreen and extras on these DVDs.

DO IT.

James Reader

Screenwriter
The R2 (UK at least) version is out and by all reports is not widescreen (at least according to the specs on the back of the box). :frowning:

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Thanks David for the links in your sig. I signed the petition. Well, I guess another Christmas goes by without my kids seeing the Muppet Christmas Carol. Too bad as it has some great songs in it.

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
I sent an e-mail to Disney about two weeks ago:
Dear Steve, Thank you for your e-mail regarding your comments. We appreciate your interest. We are sorry to hear that you are dissatisfied with the format of this DVD
and thank you for bringing it to our attention. Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks