What's new

Any firm specs on Muppet Christmas Carol? (1 Viewer)

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't mean the aspect ratio which is more than likely to be 4x3 :thumbsdown:
Does anyone have any detail on DVD supplements? I assume that there will be some after the 'Muppet Treasure Island' release. The Disney site doesn't list any, neither does Amazon.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
According to Image Entertainment:
Commentary with director Brian Henson; "Frogs, Pigs and Humbug: Unwrapping a New Holiday Classic"; Christmas Around the World; Gag Reel

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Excerpt from the commentary: "We worked real hard to frame this shot, but as you can see here it's all f@*%ed up!"

(Mommy, why is that guy talking over the movie?)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If it's not OAR, do other disc features really matter? My copy will remain on the store shelf.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
the sad thing is that the R2 version will definitely be OAR. Extras are the same as on the US version. The same goes for Muppet Treasure Island, by the way. (Source: DVDInside, in German only)
Chris

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
the sad thing is that the R2 version will definitely be OAR.
No, it's not

I have this on EXCELLENT authority unless someone else has the rights in germany and decided to do a better disc

Treasure Island IS OAR, but PAL

Grrrr, so annoying

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Jeff,

I have this on EXCELLENT authority unless someone else has the rights in germany and decided to do a better disc
Nope, the rights holder is the same in Germany. I guess if you're right then the official announcement must be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time that happens. What a shame.

Chris

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Hi,
update on the R2 version:
Jeff, I think your source may be wrong as a widescreen version of the film has been classified by the BBFC:
THE MUPPET CHRISTMAS CAROL
Classified 19 September, 2002 . Run Time 82m 28s
Widescreen, Shorter version
What confused me at first was the term "shorter version", but upon further investigation it seems that this only means PAL Speedup. Skip the next paragraphs if you don't care about the details: :)
The cinema version was classified at 85:48 min., and the original video version at 85:28. (Cinema versions running times are somewhat approximate, so that may account for the time difference). It appears that the original video version was transferred without the PAL speedup (which usually means that the video quality isn't as good). Since I have that video I popped it into the VCR, grabbed my guitar, and what do you know, the video runs at the correct speed.
So I guess, the shorter version really just means "shorter running time due to speedup"), and the R2 version will be widescreen after all. At least I hope so.
Chris

James Reader

Screenwriter
Jeff, I think your source may be wrong as a widescreen version of the film has been classified by the BBFC:
Sadly, this is not enough evidence in itself. A widescreen version of Sleeping Beauty was passed by the BBFC, but the 2 disc widescreen set was not released in the UK :thumbsdown:

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
This continues to be a huge disappointment :frowning:
If the movie runs only 85 minutes, it's also evidence that it's the cut theatrical release and not the "Director's Cut" that was on video and laserdisc -- the main difference being the exclusion (in the theatrical cut) of the terrific song "When Love Is Gone."
That song is integral to the film but Disney cut it in theaters because they thought it was too "mushy" and that little kids were growing impatient. When Brian Henson did the video release, he put it back in (if you watch the theatrical version, it's so obvious the song is missing as Scrooge goes from being distraught to crying in a matter of a couple of frames!! The Disney Channel has shown the theatrical version but every tape and LD release has the DC).
If that song ISN'T on the DVD, it's even more reason to stick with the laserdisc....ugh Disney!! WHY!?!?!?!

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
I believe that the R2 of Christmas Carol is not only going to be Pan & Scan, but edited as well.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
And Henson Production signed off on these travesties?
Actually, I heard that all our calls to Henson Co. actually resulted in them expressing their desire to Disney for an OAR Treasure Island DVD. I guess with Henon Co. in the process of being sold their influence wasn't enough to make Disney change their plans. although we can only hope that it might have some longer lasting impact.

-dave

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I believe that the R2 of Christmas Carol is not only going to be Pan & Scan, but edited as well.
F&%$, I think you're right. The omission of "When love is gone" would of course explain why it's called "shorter version" at the BBFC. Plus, if it indeed is P&S they can shove it anyway. :angry:
Chris

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
This sucks. I really like Muppet Christmas Carol... dare I say it? EVEN IN FULL-FRAME! BUT I WANT THAT SONG!!!

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
This really does suck. sigh - not sure i will be able to resist through the holidays....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks