What's new

Any feet needed for my new Velodyne CHT-12? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Actually the "wimpy" feet that came with it won't work because of my medium(1.0"- 1.5")pile carpet. Any advantage to installing proper feet on this sub? If so, how high do I need to go?

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
John,
The feet Velo ships with their CHT series are a joke. An embarrassing one at that. You would think a respected company like Velodyne would take the care to at least ship feet that are usable. I ended up putting my sub up on piece of 3/4" plywood, and then slipping the feet in underneath the sub. It works out as well as can be expected with what they give you. Aftermarket feet can be purhased though. Try ww.partsexpress.com. They may carry some.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Russell _T: Thanks for the feedback! Yeah I was "shocked" when I pulled those "feet" out of the box. Can you tell any difference "acoustically" with the plywood and standard feet? Deeper range, tighter bass etc.......

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
Sorry dude. I forgot about your thread. :D I expected a little cleaner sound putting the CT 150 up on plywood, but I really can't tell any significant improvement. I do run mine in audio mode for best extension, and surprisingly, it sounds less boomy in that mode than in video. I would have guessed the opposite.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Russell: I have a CHT-15, it is less boomy and less powerfull in Audio mode, I have asked that question before and was told basically put it in video and forget about it. It is probably less boomy in audio because what it does is reduce the output so it doesn't overpower for music. I've been keeping it in video mode because that is how I calibrated it. I haven't tried calibrating it in audio mode, maybe I should try that!

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
I ran mine in video for quite some time, and it never felt right to me. It was really slow and boomy. It was this mode that muddied the music for me even when calibrated to the rest of my set up. I switched back and forth for a while until I finally settled on audio. The out put is more than enough in either mode although I am using a splitter to pick up the extra 6 db. My gain is set at about the 3 position for music, and I run it hot for DD 5.1 mix at around the 6 position, and 7 for DTS.I'm thinking I have the sub level set at -5 at the receiver.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I've read at this forum and other places that the CHT-15 can get a little "boomy", but only for music. I was thinking about screwing on some "furniture style" pegs(3"-4")but doesn't sound like it would be worth it. I guess I'll just cut some plywood, add the stubs that came with it and see if I can tell any difference.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Well when my theatre is done (SOON I HOPE!) A guy in town offered to bring over hiss HSU VTF3, we'll see how this guy stacks up to my CHT-15. I love the CHT, I have a seperate audio system so if the HSU is better for audio than the CHT I don't care, but for HT we'll try her out. I find the CHT to be plenty of bass.

We'll see in a bit!

Russell _T

Supporting Actor
James,
That's going to be an interesting comparison. I will look forward to hearing your opinion on the results.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I'm not absolutely certain on this (I own the CT-120 but have demoed the CT-150) but my guess would be that the video position on the audio/video toggle switch found on the 15" Velo provides a bass boost, probably at ~30Hz, where some might find it desirable to increase the output for action DVDs. The audio position would give a flatter response down to the tuning point.
Just a thought...:)
Vin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks