Any feedback for the DVDs put out for Def Leppard?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Lambert, May 15, 2002.

1. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

We've been interested in the two Def Leppard discs put out a few months back: Hysteria and Visualization.

Are these concert discs, or MTV-type videos, or mixtures?

Are they worth a darn? Is it worth it to get both? (The songs seem to overlap quite a bit!)

I asked this question before, buried in another thread, and got no replies. If anyone's seen these and have anything to tell us, please let us know. Stephanie wants these badly, but I'm not as rabid a fan and want to know if 2 discs at $19.99 each are worth the dough. Thanks,

2. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

I haven't cracked the plastic on these, but they look to be of prime interest to Def Leppard fans. First of all, they each include the entire programs of two previously released VHS titles, plus bonus material, so they're more than 3 hours in length.

HISTORIA/IN THE ROUND IN YOUR FACE appears to be partly a music-video compilation with some being live videos. There are 18 songs listed (some alternate versions). There are also 14 songs performed live. Plus interview footage.

VISUALIZE/VIDEO ARCHIVE also is a compilation of music videos and live performances. There are 8 songs from a concert in Sheffield England in June 1993, 6 songs from an acoustic performance at a Sheffield club in October 1995, 5 promo music videos from 1993-1995, and the 19-chapter Visualize documentary, which appears to combine interviews, music videos and live performances. There also is some bonus interview footage.

Sound on all of these is supposedly Dolby Digital 2.0, essentially the original stereo mix.

3. Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen Screenwriter

I'm assuming that the Video Archive of Visualize/Vidoe Archive is what I've seen on VHS. As a Def Leppard fan I can tell you that it ROCKS. The concert footage is great (Joe Elliot adds some Led Zepplin to a break in 'Rocket'), the videos are nice, and the acoustic set is a real treat. I'll definitely get it especially since there's some extra stuff on it.

Steve Out

4. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    I can recommend the Historia disc. It replaced my old VHS and looks/sounds great. The concert footage on the In The Round is excellent. The discs are also well priced.

Rob

5. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor

The Historia/In the Round disc is actually the 2 separate videos (previous released on VHS) on one disc. Historia is all of the videos (my only complaint with this is that the US live version of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" sounds now like a studio version - I preferred the "live" sound that used to be part of the video).

In the Round is the actual concert film of the Hysteria tour.

Picture is full frame with Dolby Stereo 2.0

6. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

I just picked up the Historia/In The Round DVD, the picture is better than my copy of Historia on laserdisc but the sound on the LD wins hands down (gotta love PCM)

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I appreciate all the feedback. So, to sum up:

* There were 4 Def Leppard VHS tapes, two were video collections and two were concert footage. They took one from column A and one from column B and combined them into two DVD's. I.e., each disc consists of a Videos section and a Concert section.

* The sound is not 5.1, but the music still rocks, and will please any DL fan.

* Each disc has bonus material about the band, but one is heavier on this than the other one.

* The $19.99 price I mentioned is reasonable to pay for these discs, and it is worth it to get both.

Is all of the above true? Thanks,