What's new

Any fans of Magic? (1 Viewer)

RyanAn

Screenwriter
Growing up, I liked a lot of different things, but one of the things I absolutely loved was magic. No, not the "card game" but the slight of hand, illusion showcases. Is it just me or is the magic craze dwindling each year?

It seemed like there were several specials every year on the major networks showcasing the top talents - from David Copperfield to David Blaine, Sigfried & Roy and so many other great ones. While there is still Criss Angel and Penn & Teller, it's not really the same.

Just the other night, a talented up and coming magician in Sean Watson came to our local fair and put on a nice 25 minute show. Mainly slight of hand card tricks. I was actually involved with a trick towards in end in which Sean got out a "normal deck of cards" and after removing them from the packaging - rubber banded them and tossed them into the audience. After the initial person got it, it was tossed 3 more times till it got to me. We were all instructed to flip through the deck until we found a card and after I tossed it pack to him, he went on to name all four of our respective cards. It was awesome. And probably so simply done, but two days later I'm still trying to figure it out.

Are there still any magic fans out there? Do you like having the secrets revealed ala "Breaking the Magician's Code" - the one with the Great Valentino?

I'm definitely interested in learning how this wonderful craft actually works and would love to talk with you guys about it and some of it's best illusionsts and tricks.

Ryan

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
As a kid (I am in my mid 40s) I remember some of the specials. I used to watch them all the time. In particular I remember Doug Henning. I remember my brother getting a magic kit via mail order that had some fun tricks.

But as an adult, not so much. At least not on television. Watching a good show live though is a different story. There is something about having the illusions performed right in front of you that it makes it seem much more impressive.

-Keith

RyanAn

Screenwriter
I agree, Keith. Nothing beats a live performance! Another form I love and am still trying to figure out how they do it is quick-change - where there is a couple dancing and the lady and sometimes the gentlemen switch into numerous outfits in a staggeringly fast time. Really impressive, well-thought out stuff!

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was working security at Six Flags St. Louis in 1987, sitting in the employee entrance. Suddenly, I look up and Mark Wilson is walking toward the gate. I got up, and asked one of the people who was with him, "Is that Mark Wilson?". She said, "do you recognize him?" I said sure, Mark Wilson, The Magic Land of Allakazam, Mark Wilson's Magic Circus. Of course I knew him.

She smiled, and said, "Go introduce yourself and tell him you know him". I didn't realize it at the time, but he had lost his popularity, and she really wanted him to have a fan come up. He was very gracious, offering to autograph a book I had on magic the next day. It was a very cool, and somewhat sad experience.

I still enjoy Magic, although I can't stand some of the current people (do you hear me, Criss Angel?).

Anyone else a fan of Scam School?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Are we live?

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DUoIagkuJre4&v=UoIagkuJre4&gl=US

P&T are my faves for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks