Any fans of Indie British music out there? I need recommendations.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jay E, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

One of the problems of living in the U.S. is the inability of hearing any of the new music coming out of England. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who listens to Indie British music who can give me some recommendations. To give you an idea of my tastes, these are some of the groups that I have heard & liked so far:

Clinic - my favorite new group

The Strokes

Clearlake

The Doves

Idlewild

Gay Dad

Badly Drawn Boy

Coldplay

Star Sailor

I appreciate any recommendations given. Many Thanks in advance.

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

best place to check out British indie is the New Music Express (NME). Check it out at
    http://195.246.98.28/
    Travis is pretty good if you haven't heard of them
    Also the boobytrap label (from wales) has a pretty cool 'singles of the month club'
    great title - if I am not back in 10 minutes, avenge my death[​IMG]

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

At the moment, the only band I can think of is Captain Soul. They only have one album out, Beat Your Crazy Head Against the Sky, but what an album! 10 perfect songs, great songwriting, textured production, and some really impressive guitar work. They can be described as a mixture of The Beatles, The Who, 80's-era R.E.M. and The Beach Boys. I've showcased this album to several friends, and they all loved it.
    BYCHATS can only be found as a mid-price import, but you should really check it out if you have the chance. Here's their site:
    http://www.captainsoul.com/
    EDIT: Oh wait, there some other UK bands out there that might be to your liking, though they're more well-known: Supergrass and The Soft Boys. For Supergrass, you might want to check out In It For the Money, and for The Soft Boys, definitely look into Underwater Moonlight.
    If you like The Kinks, Nirvana, Beatles, early R.E.M., Nick Lowe, Replacements, the Jam, any post-punk underground band, etc., you should have no trouble getting into these two bands right away.

4. JasonD

JasonD Agent

Some of my favorites are:

1. Swervedriver

2. Charlatans UK

3. Inspiral Carpets

4. James

5. Ned's Atomic Dustbin

5. MickeS

MickeS Producer

How about Suede (or "The London Suede" in the US)? I don't know if they're still around, but I have their first three albums and a collection of B-sides, and they are just AWESOME.... check them out, even though they've been around a while they never seem to have made it big in the US.

/Mike

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Thanks all for your respones so far.
    Kevin- I've never heard of Captain Soul. I will definitely check theck them out. I've heard of the Soft Boys but have never heard any of their music. i will check them out also. I love Supergrass and have all three of their albums.
    Jason - I'm a big fan of English Music, so many of the bands that have been around a while (or are no longer with us), I know. I loved Inspiral Carpets & Ned's Atomic Dustbin (except for their last album) & I just bought the latest album by Charlatans UK (they definitely have a different sound on this album, I've got to listen to it a few more times before I decide if I like it or love it).
    Mike - I was a big fan of Suede's first album. Their later stuff however never seemed to hit me with the same impact. I still think they are around.

7. Ryan Spaight

Ryan Spaight Supporting Actor

Suede had a fourth album out in (I think) 1999 called Head Music. I listened to it once and it didn't really make an impression on me, and I never got around to listening to it again. I loved the other three, though, so I fully intend to give it another spin one of these days -- maybe when I get around to ripping Suede into my MP3 library. I have no idea what the band's current status is, though.

Suede's original co-writer and guitarist, Bernard Butler, has a couple of solo albums out that are worth checking out if you like the first two Suede albums.

On a totally different tack, though their reputation is as a "proggy" sort of band, Marillion's latest album Anoraknophobia is great, great stuff by any standard. A nice mix of atmospheric pieces, poppy tunes and flat-out rockers (often all in the same song). It's a great sounding HDCD disc, too, if you care about that sort of thing.

Ryan

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

The Soft Boys were Robyn Hitchcock's 1st band. Robyn is great;(saw him at least a dozen times...He is from the Isle of Man but lived in SF for many years) must see him live or at least checkout Demme's Movie Storefront Hitchcock!
    Black Snake Diamond Role, Groovy Decay, I Often Dream of Trains; are all great albums.
    Another great band (also departed ) to check out is the Screamin Blue Messiahs. Difficult too find but well worth it![​IMG]

9. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Oooh. So many posts:
    Grant: The Strokes are an NYC band, incidentally, so don't technically count. Also [pedant] it's just 'Doves' - no definite article [/pedant] and they are cool.
    Travis: Personally I find them dull like Coldplay. Coldplay have a couple of great songs but for me the ultimate British band is Radiohead. The Bends and OK Computer represent the greatest guitar albums ever made, IMO.
    Suede: The first two albums Suede and Dogman Star are pretty fantastic. They still had Bernard Butler with them. When he left the next two albums weren't as good. The B-sides album Sci-Fi Lullabies has a lot of his work with the singer Brett Anderson - specifically The Living Dead. It's worth getting.
    Personally, I think Butler's solo albums are pretty pathetic. They're overblown, songless, souless rock. Technically brilliant, mind, but lacking...(IMO)
    You've told me your a Blur fan so I would definitely suggest Graham Coxon's solo stuff: The Sky Is Too High and Crow Sit On Blood Tree, though not so much The Golden 'D'. Gorillaz are also very good, despite claims they are a kiddies band. The album's like a collection of Blur b-sides of the good variety.
    Pulp's most recent album has a really cool production to it.
    Not British, Belgian, but Soulwax rock like a bastard.
    If you're going more obscure then Mogwai are worth a listen - try to go for the early stuff: Young Team and Ten Rapid
    Current favourites of mine are LIFE WITHOUT BUILDINGS (www.lifewithoutbuildings.co.uk). Also worth a listen are Meanwhile Back In Communist Russia
    Hope that's enough to be going on with![​IMG]

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

But Dogman Star has 'We Are The Pigs' on! [​IMG]
    Seriously, I know what you mean about the third album (not 'Trash', but 'Coming Up'). The thing is that 'pop' aspect is what lets it down. It's just not got the depth that you need from a long listening album. Also it is very 'sameish' all the way through.
    I certainly won't deny it's appeal but these days I always strive for what I'd call 'absolute' quality. 'Coming Up' was described by the Melody Maker as 'Karaoke Bowie' and in a sense it's true. If you've got a lot of Bowie the album won't have the same bite, IMO.

12. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

Also check out the British prog band Porcupine Tree. Try their album "Stupid Dream" for a very British (Genesis/King Crimson) type sound.

JohnG

13. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Cinerama -- the latest band from The Wedding Present's David Gedge -- is also pretty great.