Any experiences with ubid.com?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobEd, Mar 22, 2002.

1. RobEd

RobEd Auditioning

After several weeks of shopping the local HT stores and reading the posts on this forum I have narrowed my choices to the Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595. Both of these units come up faily regularly on ubid.com at very attractive prices. Most are refurbished units. Has anyone had any problems with ubid? Any recommendations on other internet e-tailers?

2. brian a

brian a Second Unit

I've bought a ton of stuff off of Ubid and every transaction has been great. As long as you're buying it from Ubid and not another seller, I'd say that you're fine.

That being said, there is a vendor feedback forum where questions like this belong, and I'd bet that this one is headed there.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

just bought an aragon 8008x3b from ubid and it arrived quick and is totally mint / brand new as they advertised. i was a little worried since i never bid / bought from ubid before but in all it was a pleasant transaction.

kevin t

4. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

posted by RobEd

====

After several weeks of shopping the local HT stores and reading the posts on this forum I have narrowed my choices to the Denon 1802 or Onkyo 595. Both of these units come up faily regularly on ubid.com at very attractive prices. Most are refurbished units. Has anyone had any problems with ubid? Any recommendations on other internet e-tailers?

====

ubid... grrr. if you don't have to deal with their customer service i think you will be fine. it seems to me that they know nothing about what they are doing. here's my story. i won my bid for a bohlender center speaker on march 5. i kept checking the ubid website to see when my order would be shipped. nothing happened so finally i wrote them an email. they wrote, "the order has to go through a process of Credit procedure where your address is verified and then sent to the warehouse for shipping and then the item would take 30 business days to reach you." 30 business days!!!! that means it would take six (6) weeks. who (UPS, FEDEX, MAILBOX ETC., etc. ) would take that long to ship a package within the US???

if you check their website, it says that an order will take maximum 17 business days. therefore, the person who wrote me lied. enough venting i guess, but i do wish you luck.

5. Earl Simpson

Earl Simpson Supporting Actor

Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Consumer alert!

I e-mailed them about a new rcvr that was dirt cheap and only a 30 day warranty from ubid and not the manufacturer. They kept saying read the site info, I kept asking is it a new unit in a factory sealed box. No answer. They must sell some stuff that is not new but listed as new. Be careful. I believe it was a 5es for $585. They had 6 of them listed as new. I don't think so.

6. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

A quick check of UBID's site revealed Denon 1802s (refurbished) going for $309 + approx. $32 for UPS Ground shipping. This receiver only features a 90-day warranty from Denon. Personally, I would check out some trusted Internet vendors for this receiver. For about $25 more, you could purchase the receiver and get a 2-year warranty honored by the vendor rather than Denon since the vendor may not be an authorized retailer. Their prices are typically $349 for the receiver and approx. $25 for shipping.

7. Mark_HD

Mark_HD Extra

... i'm a fan of UBID. just buy new/refurbished that has a manufacturer's warranty. good luck.

8. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I have purchased from UBID in the past and had no problems. I bought an H/K receiver new and a H/K CD changer refurbished and never had a problem. They also double boxed my equipment. It has been about 3 years now since I have purchased through them. I did notice their shipping charges have gone up quite a bit.

Daniel

9. Luke_Khuc

Luke_Khuc Stunt Coordinator

a brand new story about ubid.com:

this is the original message from ubid:

====

Thank you for your order at uBid. Please be advised that your order, number xxxxx , shipped recently.

Important Order Information:

-----------------------------------

Order No.: xxxxxxx

Order Description: Tracking Number: 048897010019074

Shipping Company: UPS

For your protection, a signature may be required upon delivery for winning bids with Standard Ground and Next Day Air deliveries.

====

i kept checking this number on the UPS website but couldn't find anything. somebody pointed out that this number is a FedEx number. how could they make such mistake????

10. Jah-Wren Ryel

Jah-Wren Ryel Stunt Coordinator

Luke - I bought my BG's through ubid too. But, they shipped direct from BG's warehouse via fedex. Back last year when I bought mine, ubid still "preferred fedex" but now they "prefer ups." I am guessing that BG always uses fedex for their stuff and that they just sent the tracking number info to ubid who just cut&pasted into their standard email form, which, since they "prefer ups" probably doesn't let them change the shipper to anything other than ups.