Any experiences with SONY VAIO?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Boyd, Nov 22, 2001.

1. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

I really like what these come loaded with. Especially if you configure your own system online. Frys had a $2500 model P4 2ghz 512rdram I sorta fooled around with yesterday. The thing could capture video by s-vid, composite and SONY's version of firewire (I know about the compatibility issues using non SONY DV sources). The TIVO-like video recorder seemed interesting. I don't even have cable though so I dont know how worthwhile that would be for me, but it seems that unless you get that feature you dont get the analog inputs. Oh and it even had a digital out for Dolby Digital!

i've seen a lot of customer service complaints about SONY as well as different upgrade issues. I guess I'm not real worried about upgrading. XP should be around awhile right? I'm still running the original 98.

I also know about SONY's refusal to upgrade the editing software, but if I run Premiere 6.0 I guess I'm not too concerned about that either.

So any comments about the VAIO line? These things really seem to come a long way. I've looked at a few review boards so far . . . but HTF members are just the best when it comes to anything like this. Thanks!

2. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

I've got a VAIO PCG-FX205K laptop. Pentium3-850, 128Mb RAM, 20Gb drive, LAN, Firewire, USB, Win2000, 15" screen.
    Very pleased with it [​IMG]

3. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I have a Sony...it's the PCV-RX580........and it's awesome!

Here are some of the specs:

Pentium 4 1.8Mhz

512MB PC133 SDRAM

80GB HD (Ultra ATA)

DVD-R/RW DRIVE!!!!! (awesome)

CD-R/RW Drive

Memory Stick slot

i.LINK (IEEE 1394)

56K modem

Ethernet/network card

Windows XP pre-installed

Very stable - and it looks great....

I also purchased the 19" Sony Monitor (sweeeeeeet!!!!)

Lots of great software included also....I'm very happy with it to say the least!

I hope to add a 2nd one down the road even (as this one is SUPPOSSED to be for my wife....hahaha) to replace my recently built Thunderbird 2 Athlon 1.2MHz system.

*****The one you are describing sounds alot like the PCV-RX590 (one step up from mine)...I wish I would have just gone ahead and gotten that one now!!! Good luck!

4. Michael Boyd

Michael Boyd Second Unit

Sounds good Michael. I'd go for the one you have but Im just interested in getting those S vid and composite inputs. Maybe I'll just save the bucks and go with it anyway. I think the 19 inch monitor is the way to go too. Costco has a bundle of what sounds like your PC and a 15inch flat screen, but after using a laptop for 3 years Im ready to get back to a normal monitor.

Have you seen the SONY widescreen monitor? $2000!!!! looks pretty awesome, but its hard to justify the price when and HDready TV which I dont even have would cost that much and TVs that same size are about $500 in Europe.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

But the Sony widescreen is like an HD-ready TV. Of course it doesn't have speakers or any of the other amenities you might associate with a TV, but it will show an HD picture; maybe even better than with a "real" HDTV, because it's really a computer monitor, so you get every pixel and they're rock-solid. All you need is a HDTV tuner card (another $400 [​IMG] ). Also, comparing prices to European widescreen sets is not fair, because those are not HD.
    As for the computer, I have no direct experience with VAIOs, but if the video inputs are a primary concern, you can always get an add-in card. Pinnacle makes a few around $100 -- you can go with the 580 (which seems like a decent bundle) and add the card if you're not interested in the Tivo and Giga Pocket stuff in the 590.
    //Ken