What's new

Any experiences with Saab? (1 Viewer)

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Thanks for that Jason! I restrained myself. :)
I'm sure you did so too.

Cees

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
The key ignition is on the floor (there are stories of thieves being foiled by this).
My roommate in college had a Saab 900 and had a thief try to steal his car in NYC. Couldn't find the ignition, and left him a note in his car saying so. Pretty damn funny.

Andrej

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
"Saab" is an acronym for "Svenska Aeroplan AktieBolaget"; which in English means, "Swedish Aeroplane Company".

Saab, was founded in April, 1937 to manufacture aeroplanes. After the end of the Second World War the company operations had to be redirected and under the consideration were module houses, modular kitchens and motorcycles among the many choices. Finally it was decided to concentrate on automobiles.

This from Saab's homepage:

One of the world's leading high-technology companies with its main operations focusing on defence, aviation and space.

The Group covers a broad spectrum of competence and capability in systems integration.

Saab develops, manufactures and delivers advanced products and services for the defence market, as well as for those commercial markets where there is a clear demand for its capabilities.
In short this means they are now essentially a defense contractor. They make things like this and things like these. Not your typical car company. Again, the automobile unit was sold to GM so the new 93 series is riding on the same platform as the 2004 Saturn and Chevy Malibu :frowning: . The good news is that many of the same engineers and designers are still on staff at the Swedish home office so the car still retains much of its unique character.

Some, less enthusiastic critics , have dubbed it, "Sure Ain't A Beemer". ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.