Any experiences with Saab?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tim Markley, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I'm looking to buy a new car and one of the cars that I like is the new Saab 93 sports sedan. I've never really liked Saabs previously (thought they looked weird) but this one's real nice. Unfortunately I don't know anything about them. Their quality appears to be in the same category as BMW, Audi, etc. I drove one yesterday and was impressed, although the handling isn't as tight as my BMW 3 series. I've done alot of searching on the web and the reviews are all very positive. What do people here think of Saab automobiles?

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    i dont want to discourage you, but i would hate to see someone go from a bmw to a saab. they are decent cars, fairly expensive to fix, butbmws arent that cheap either. they build quality doesnt exactly approach audi quite yet, and certainly doesnt reach bmw status. my opinion may differ from others on the forum, but i think you should stick with a bmw.

CJ

3. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

We used to have a Saab 9000 and a Saab 9-5. They are good cars, but quality is not up to German car standards (in my opinion). But now we have a Mercedes-Benz. [​IMG]

4. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I actually won't be getting rid of the BMW. I'm getting rid of my Jeep Grand Cherokee and am looking for a 4 door sport sedan since our BMW is a coupe. One of my other choices is an Audi A4 and it's actually at the top of my list. The interior of the Saab wasn't quite as nice as our BMW and definitely not up to the quality of the Audi but it was nice. I like the look of the new 93 and it's a fun car to drive. Any happy Saab owners/ex-owners out there?

5. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

I had a Saab 9000- good car, crazy strange problems though -like seat heaters that wouldn't turn off. I would put the "hassle" factor of owning one significantly above Japanese Cars and top line German cars like Mercedes and BMW. If the cars appeal to you i would say lease one - even though the 93 is new there are factory subsidized leases on them - Saabs have traditionally low resale value and the factory lease can save you there - you should also be under warranty and maybe maintenance during the lease - if at the end of the lease you like the car you have the option of buying it.

6. Grant B

Grant B Producer

We bought a leased 900 Saab (1996, 1 yr old low mileage) and are still happy with it. it is very reliable, unlike the Jeep we had, and well made.
    I had an idiot run in front of me once; I managed not to hit him but hit a curb in doing so.
    Blew the tire but the thing was still in alignment and no other problems. I was surprised, most of the other cars I have owned would have been in the shop for that one.
    It has a huge amount of room when the seats fold down...I brought my Sony 32XBR home in it, the sals person said he never saw it fit in any car (huge box)
    We dont have a turbo and it's automatic but it still has very decent pick up.
    My old car pooler loved BMWs and was very impressed by my car.
    The only thing that I hate about it is the placement of the drink holder.which is pretty minor.
    You can get 2 for the price of 1 MB[​IMG]
    I would buy another one whereas many other vehicles I have owned I would not.

Hope that helps
    Good Luck!
    Grant

7. Seth_S

Seth_S Second Unit

To quote Tom and Ray Magliozzi, "It's a woman's car." [​IMG]

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

9. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

the A4's is bigger [​IMG]

10. Grant B

Grant B Producer

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep 'em coming! [​IMG]

I definitely wouldn't consider either the new 93 or 95 as "women's cars". Both are very sporty. The new 93 Arc and Vector are coming out in just a few weeks and those are the models that have me excited about the Saab 93. Both with 210 HP turbo engines with upgraded interiors.

12. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ

13. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I have had Saabs since 1980 - two to be precise (!!). My current one is the Saab 900 I bought in 1991. They are fabulous and the "status" in this country of a Saab is above BMW (also known as the 'pimp-brand' over here [​IMG] ).

Apart from all that nonsense, it's really, really a great car. They were the first to introduce the Turbo-blown engine for civilian cars, and back in the eighties their safety above most other brands was proverbial. Now that's no longer true - not that they are less in that respect, but the other cars meet much higher standards too.

They stem from a Swedish aeroplane building company, the windtunnel approach that made them unique in the seventies can still be seen. The company also owned a truck-factory, but the family car factory was sold to GM more than ten years ago.

My next car will be a Saab again, I'm looking at the 95, BTW.

Cees

[​IMG]

14. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Well my dad had 2 9000 turbos & I owned a 99 (one of my first cars). They are great cars to drive & a very good car for the money in my opinion. I also think their dashes tend to be well-done (the gauges) and the seating is particularly comfortable for long journeys.

I don't have anything negative to say about them & I can't say that about any other car I've driven, so they get a thumbs-up from me.

15. M.R.Chobanian

M.R.Chobanian Auditioning

Trading in my 1991 9000T in two days on a Mazda 6. Have about 120,000 miles on the Saab, and from about 100,000 miles it became an extremely unreliable vehicle prone to breaking down despite regular (very expensive)servicing at the dealership. The stereo has never worked right and the windshield wipers tend to come on at odd times. The latest problem has been exhaust gasses leaking into the passenger compartment. Driving with the windows open here in Michigan in winter is its own variety of thrill. All in all I can no longer recommend Saab.

On the other hand, just after I bought it I was parking at a lumber store and a beautiful blonde was coming out the door. She looked at me and said "Nice car!" Sigh...

16. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Interesting that you're trading in your Saab for a Mazda 6 as that's another car on my list. Unfortunately my local dealer doesn't have a 6s in stock and won't be getting one soon. I wanted to see and drive a 6s with full leather, sport package, etc. to see if I could save some money and get the cheaper Mazda.

17. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

The new Saabs are built on a new GM platform, which some may think is a bad thing. I think the new platform is pretty well done, many cars will be based on this platform including the new Malibu. Of course the Malibu and Saab 93 are totally different.

I personally am considering an Arc. Everyone and their dog has a BMW now. This doesn't really bother me that much as I currently drive a Honda, but as I step up, I might like to be at least a little different.The new Saab is also supposed to be very difficult to steal and very very safe.

I personally suspect the new car will catch on, and the price will increase, making this years cars a great deal.

18. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

19. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Saab are like nothing else out there except possibly Citroen. They have a culture unto themselves. Pioneers in engineering and never afraid to take the "unique" solution, Saab has always been the "different" European car. They pioneered front-wheel drive, turbocharging, direct-ignition, seat heating, break-away mirrors, and crumple zoning.

Saabs look oddball because they were designed to center-punch elk without killing the passengers. In the US, Saabs used to be sold in home & garden centers because they used 2-stroke engines. The interior was designed by aeroengineers told to design a car. The key ignition is on the floor (there are stories of thieves being foiled by this). You cannot be locked out of a Saab as the key is required to lock and unlock the doors. To save space the 900 has the manual transmission integrated into the engine. Tranny blows? Overhaul and DISASSEMBLE the engine!

My mechanic only works on Saabs and has a doctorate in philosophy.

The cars are tanks, super fun to drive, and relatively unique. Since GM bought out the car division that quirky uniqueness has been slowly bled from the marque but the reliability has gone up.

Saabs break in the most unusual and spectacular ways. I have an '86 900 and a '92 9000 turbo. I love them both even if they have left me stranded by the side of the road 5 times between them. A $1000 computer part for the 9000, excluding labor and anything else. A $700 ignition cartridge for the 9000. That cartridge is good for only about 100,000 miles. Many Saabs see more miles than that. Seat heaters break? Can't fix them. Cheaper to get a new seat. But the seats! WOW. Only ones better are Peugeot and you can't get those here. The "automatic climate control" system works like magic. Just like magic. Really. Nothing you can do will ever effect its operation. You can only press the temperature button and throw a few virgins in a volcano. Pray it does what you want. [​IMG]

As a fellow Saab fanatic once put it, "Saabs are 90% genius and 10% WHAT-THE-#%!@-WERE-THEY-THINKING??!?!?"

All that said they are completely charming cars with astounding steering for a front-wheel drive car. You just have to be prepared for life of mechanical..mmmmmm...."adventure". [​IMG]

However, if you want the single largest gathering of Saab fanatics complete with their own Saab stories [​IMG] then hie on over to The Saab Network. Scott and the crew will give you a very warm welcome and will regale you with every piece of information you could ever imagine about these wonderful, practical, exhilarating, and completely maddening automobiles.

"Borg? ........ sounds Swedish." Once infected, Saabitis is incurable. [​IMG]

20. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ohh, not one of these Viggens?:

[​IMG]

So what's the history behind Saab, a person's name, an acronym?

Jay