any experience with Yamaha HTR-5280 ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marshall Alsup, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

I'm thinking about getting this reciever. I've read the reviews at audioreview.com but I'd like the HTF opinion. In my short time here I've come to realize that you guys know your shit, so I'd like to hear what you think about this reciever.
    Thanks
    Marshall

2. DaveThomas

DaveThomas Extra

I recently bought one of these and love it. I have it hooked up to some Definitive BP8s, and they do really well with the 5280. The bass is tight and clean, even with all the LFE and surround low freqs sent to the mains. Some people claim Yamahas are bright, but the 5280 seems to be a good match for the Def Techs. I really like the way it sounds. I haven't had any problems with it.
    The DSP modes are very good for movies, but I've only used the Concert Hall mode for classical music. I prefer stereo for anything else.
    The remote is awkward at first, but it operates all my stuff perfectly.
    If you've read the Audioreviews then you probably know that Sears will match internet prices; I bought mine there for $580 + tax.

3. Nicholas A. Gallegos

Nicholas A. Gallegos Stunt Coordinator

I've had this receiver for about 2 months. I like it quite a bit so far. Tons of inputs for all my gadgets, excellent amp section, great DSP (if that's your bag), 5.1 channel preouts (rare for this price class), and very solid build quality for around $600.
    I hate the remote that came with it though. While it operates all of my components with no problems, it has a very busy layout that was confusing to my family members and none of the keys are backlit. I ended up getting a Sony RM-AV2100 touchscreen LCD remote as a replacement.
    ------------------

4. Travis Braddy

I've had mine since January, I really like it, I've had a wide variety of speakers hooked up to it, from B&W 603s to Tannoy SaturnS8s and now my DefTech ProCinema 100s. It's actually a bit strong for the 100s, in my opinion, it does fine, but I can feel the receiver crying to push out more, it came to life with the Tannoys, just beautiful, clean sound. I'm not wild about the remote, but it's okay, eventually, I'll get a fancier one. But, for the money, I think it's wonderful.

5. Greg S

Greg S Supporting Actor

Overall I thought it was a good product. The remote sucked but that was the only major down side to it IMHO.
    I did feel it was a little too "bright" for my taste and ended up selling it and getting a Denon 3801. I am now extremely happy with the Denon.
    Greg