Any experience with Plus Piano?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I've read and heard good things about the Plus Piano projector (DLP) for $3K from Piano.

Does anyone have any experience with this projector in terms of build quality, brightness, contrast, etc.?

Many thanks,

Lee

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Lee-

The general upsides to the Piano from the reviews I have read are that it is extremely quiet and it doesn't have rainbows. The downside for me is that it will not allow an HTPC connection through VGA, and its resolution seems limited.

It looks like a good projector if you are considering DVD only sources (no HDTV) and will be driving it with a nice progressive scan player. Check the latest issue of Sound & Vision, as well as avsforum.com. They have lots of (spirited) discussions on the Piano.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Matt,

I will check out the avsforum threads. Thanks!

4. Lannie Lorence

Lannie Lorence Stunt Coordinator

A progressive scan player will do you no good. The Piano will only accept a progressive signal from its DVI input. However, the onboard deinterlacer is actually quite good. So it's a great little projector for those who

1)don't want to spend a lot of money on other equipment e.g: progressive scan dvd player, scaler.

2)are sensitive to rainbows (it has a sped-up color wheel)

3)have a light controlled room (it does not work well with ambient lighting.

4)don't care about HDTV.

Also, I should mention Plus is now running an offer where you can check out the Piano for ten days. If you don't like it return it within that time and get a full refund. I'm not sure when this ends, so you might want to check up on this.

5. Michael Lee

Michael Lee Supporting Actor

I just saw this at CES and was very impressed. I was also informed that they were coming out with one that will accept an HDTV signal later in the year. It will downconvert, of course, but it will be capable of it.

6. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

also, it has no zoom lense

7. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

Based on the reviews that I've read regarding the Plus, it's a great little projector for DVD viewing.

It handles 16:9 anamorphic DVD via S-VIDEO, and the built-in scaler even provides 3:2 pulldown.

It doesn't have a zoom lens, but since it does provide a mode for viewing 4:3 material centered within the 16:9 area, it doesn't really need one.

It provides a high contrast picture without requiring a "negative-gain" screen.

It's main limitations are in the area of lumens output and HDTV compatibility. It only provides 450 lumens, so, even in a controlled ambient light environment, the screen size should probably be limited to about 80-96", in a 16:9 configuration. (Assuming a 1.0-1.3 gain screen is utilized, which would provide the widest viewing angle.) And, as has been mentioned here, it currently cannot handle HDTV sources.

For the money, though, and for what it does do, it sounds as though it could provide many hours of pleasurable DVD viewing while waiting for HDTV sources to become more prevalent.