What's new

Any experience with Pioneer A03 DVD recorder? (1 Viewer)

AlbertAgullo

Agent
Does it work fine?

How long it takes to record a DVD?

Any experience generating DVD from VHS?

I need all the information you can give me.

Thanks.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Does it work fine? -Yes

How long it takes to record a DVD?- The actual burning process, about 45min. Don't forget you still have to compress and author the disc before that.

Any experience generating DVD from VHS?- Yes. You first have to capture your footage at 720x480 and then compress to MPEG-2, a process that can take days to complete when you count in all of the rendering time. Any more questions feel free.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey Jeff,

I have a DV camera, A firewire capture card, and Adobe Premiere. Is this enough to create a DVD? Or do I need some special DVD authoring software. I ask specifically because I'm not sure if Premiere will do the menus and all that. I haven't acutally used it yet except to do some basic captures. I dont yet have a DVD recorder but I'm very interested in backing up my home movies to DVD in the near future.

Thanks,

Marshall

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
I've heard that Pioneer is coming out with the DVR-104 model soon, which is supposed to be faster (but not much more expensive) than the A03.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I could be wrong but I think the A03 includes authoring software only in the retail box, not in the OEM "white" box. I bought mine in the retail box. It included Sonic MyDVD 2.0 which seems to be bottom-of-the-line for Sonic's DVDit line of software.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes you need special DVD-Authoring software, as well as an MPEG-2 encoder (a decent one is in the freeware bbMPEG software which will plug into Premiere, do a yahoo search for it). Premiere is only for editing the video and compressing it, it has nothing to do with the DVD process.

With DVD Authoring software, the more expensive it is, the more it can do. If you want to get fancy with your menus, be prepared to spend some bucks.

Your DV files will be fine, but be warned, MPEG-2 compression takes HOURS. Don't use Variable Bit Rate either, that's really only useful if you've got a professional compression package

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks