What's new

Any experience with North Creek Poseidon Subwoofer? (1 Viewer)

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
A search of this forum has revealed nada, zip, zilch. Has anyone used this kit (or the 11" driver)? The amps wattage is right where I want it to be, and the fact that I'm preparing to build North Creek kits for the rest of my new speaker set up leaves me inclined to keep everything within the same family. I'm not interested annoying the neighbors, breaking dishes, or shaking fillings loose. I simply want clean bass for my dual purpose system. FWIW, the room is 22" x 13", wall-to-wall carpeting, drywall, with one of the long side walls open to a larger room that has hardwood floors. Thanks.
-Steve

Link: http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Drivers/Poseidon1.htm

Cam S

Screenwriter
IMO a Shiva would do a better job, as you have a fairly large room, but it does look like a nice sub. Maybe run it through WinISD and see what it comes up with compared to a Shiva in a similar box.

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Didn't know they had a sub kit....And don't see anything special about what they're offering.

Personally I see no benefit buying the mains and sub from the same supplier. There is no 'magic' that makes the pairing special.

11" drivers are a little small IMO. Quality bass is all about displacement (more is better), box tuning and keeping distortion low.

I'd be inclined to go with a 15" driver (Tempest/PE DVC 15" for example) and one of the Parts Express 250 watt plate amps (without the EQ). Either of those drivers will also work in downward firing if desired. And can easily be put in a cab with a "Q" of 0.5.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you all for the input! I'll continue researching (Shiva, Tempest...) my sub options while I work on the mains. The new SVS box subs are tempting, but I'm always inclined to DIY. Thanks again.
-Steve

Aaron_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Steve, I built a sealed sub with a 15" Tempest from Adire and the Parts Express 250 watt amp. I made mine with a Q of .7, but that is easily adjusted by changing the box size. My materials cost for the whole thing was around $300, and I built it in a weekend (thanks to my table saw and Kreg jig ;) ). The parts express amp can be easily modified to provide the bass boost as described in the North Creek page-- you only have to substitute 2 components on a circuit board that is easy to access.
In my opinion, it would be difficult if not impossible to equal the quality of bass from this sub, anywhere close to this price range. As mentioned earlier, there is no substitute for displacement, and a 15" driver will do it better than an 11". I will concede that the box is very large and my wife nearly had a heart attack when she saw it, but even she will acknowledge that it sounds wonderful.
I'd post pictures but I was too lazy to take them... check out Ronnie Ferrell's web site, he did a beautiful job documenting his construction process.

Steve Elias

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, Aaron. I should have mentioned that the size of the box IS a WAF issue (and one reason I was considering the smallish Northcreek sub). So smallish box, large displacement... I may be painting myself into a corner.

"The parts express amp can be easily modified to provide the bass boost as described in the North Creek page-- you only have to substitute 2 components on a circuit board that is easy to access."
Easy for you to say :) Woodworking I know. Circuit boards and electrical components represent a new world for me, but I'm always willing to learn.

Thanks again.
-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks