Any experience with Klipsch and Sony Recievers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Praful Patel, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Praful Patel

Praful Patel Auditioning

Was planning on getting Def Tech PowerMonitor's until I found out the dealer does not take returns.

Planning on going with Klipsch RF3 with matching center and surrounds and I am able to get a discount for a Sony Sony ES STR-DA4ES reciever.

I have heard that some recievers do not match well with Klipsch speakers and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these two together?

Tkanks

2. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

It would be best to ask this on the Klipsch website forum.

However, I myself own the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers and have a Parasound HCA-2205AT amplifier. Awesome sound.

Most people say that Denon and Harman Kardon A/V receivers are a good match with Klipsch for their warm sound. Not many people use Sony with Klipsch. I would also stay away from Yamaha as they tend to sound bright with Klipsch.

If I were picking an A/V receiver for my Klipsch, I would go for Harman Kardon.

3. Ian C

Ian C Stunt Coordinator

I have a Sony DB830 with my Klipsch Synergies. Granted, these are lower than the lines you're talking about, but are a generally good example of the sound. I wouldn't exactly say it's shrill, but it does definitely tend towards the bright side.

4. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

My experience with older Sony was that they were not a good match for the Klipsch. There was a strange combination of what I call humps - shrillness in some of the high notes and boominess in some of the lows. I have used the Sony with several speaker options and have now regulated it to a preamp for a turntable, so I may just not like Sony receivers.

I have Klipsch heritage speakers attached to an older Hk downstairs and to a newer Denon upstairs and both are really nice matches to the speakers

My 2 cents...

5. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

I have had Klipsch for overe 20 years. Originally hooked up to a Yamaha, and the sound was very harsh and bright. Then I purchased an HK and WOW - the thing really opened up the Klipsch. HK's wide bandwidth, high current, minimal negative feedback, and headroom make for a good match. I also had a chance to A:B with Denon (no contest - HK won easily), Adcom (harsh and brittle sound from Adcom), Rotel (close, but Rotel 3X the $$), and Yamaha (just to be sure I was right about Yamaha, and boy was I!!).

Caution - some of the new HK have fans, so I would try to steer clear of these. I understand they are already changing the architecture again to get away from fans as there were a lot of complaints. But that's what you get when you run a hot unit wide open.

FYI - I have heard a lot of good things about Marantz - look at the 7300. Anyone out there got any good feedback on the M7300? I have not had a chance to A:B it with an HK.

FYI II - HK is coming out with a new, all digital receiver that is fantastic. Should be had on the street for around $1200. I would also look at that if you have time to wait. Good luck, and let me know what you find.

6. skip marr

skip marr Stunt Coordinator

A footnote - I understand Harman International recently picked up the Denon line??? If that is true, perhaps they can go in and update the Denon and you may see an new crop of new receivers coming out soon from Denon with better sound and bandwidth.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Just try and listen for yourself. I almost discounted the Sony 5es to power Klipsch when I read everything here about it making a bright combination. When I A/B'd the 3802 and 5es, I thought the Sony sounded much better.

8. Praful Patel

Praful Patel Auditioning

Frank, what klipsch speakers do you have?

And, thanks for everyone's input.

I have pretty much decided on the RF-3 and Rc-7 for the front three, strugling with the 2-sides and 2-rears; rcw3 vs rcw5. My room is 18'x22'. Any suggestions for the rears?

I have also decided on the SVS 20-39 pci.[​IMG]

9. Sean Carter

Sean Carter Stunt Coordinator

I have the RF-3II, RC-3II, RS-3II. I thought it sounded terrific w/the DA4ES but I was only going use it as a pre/pro since I have a Parasound amp. BTW, Klipsch and Parasound are a match made in heaven.

Frank

I accidentally posted under my brother's name.