Any experience with DVD mega-changers?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Joey B, Sep 29, 2003.

1. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking into getting a Sony DVP-CX985v 400-disc changer. I like the idea of not having to touch the discs (kids). I just wanted to know what your opinions were, even in regards to CD mega-changers. Any input would be appreciated.

Joey

2. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

I have had a 200 disc Sony dvd/400 disc cd changer for about 3 yrs,they always worked great.This is a good solution if you don't want family or friends to have to handle disc.I also have a Denon 2900 that I use critical viewing and listening.

3. Phil Tomaskovic

Phil Tomaskovic Supporting Actor

I would search here and also in avsforum.com. The DVD Player forum there hasa review of the 777es which is the ES version and some people have the 985 also. There are some interface quirks some people can't stand.

4. Joey B

Joey B Stunt Coordinator

Curtis, how does the a/v quality of the sony compare to the Denon? That's one of my big debates. I want a quality player, not just a new toy.

Joey

5. Mike_Frame

Mike_Frame Extra

I have the Kenwood Soverign DV-5050M 403 disk Changer, and it's not bad at all...

It does take patience to program all the DVD titles into the changer, but other than that my experience has been great!

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

Joey,its a little like comparing apples to oranges but here goes.For video the Sony does good,its not as good as the Denon but still it looks good at half the price and 200 disc.On the audio side with dd,dts the Sony again does very good.The Denon is superior in audio,mostly because it uses very good quality components/design and is designed to play sacd,dvd-a hi-rez audio formats.The sony I have is about 3yrs old( model 850 I think) and has always been very reliable.I must confess though I am not a videophile,it looks/sounds good to me.For top notch performance and multi format plaback I don't know of a mega changer.For top notch perfomance/multi you will most likely need a single disc player,but the mega's provides an easy way for others to access disc and still perform good.

7. Steve_Corrick

Steve_Corrick Stunt Coordinator

If you are not in a hurry you might check Accessories4less.com or call the 800 # to see if these might show back up.
    A4L will occasionaly have the Marantz model 8100 - 300 disk DVD-CD player for around 500.oo - 600.oo ( Marantz factory refurb - closeout dealer w-1 year mfr wty )
    Very nice and tweakable video ( sharp - bright - chroma - noise reduction ) 6 preset groups and you can save 3 different groups of your own preset adjustment patterns - OSD - disk labeling via the remote or PS2 computer keyboard - per disk memory of video and DVD audio track selection (DD-DTS-commentary track - favorite preset video adjustment) / not progressive scan / Much better DACS for standard CD playback than most of the typical SONY or Pioneer multi-disk CD only players that you find in a superstore ( Bestbuy - CC ) Two of these can be chained together for 600 disk access. Mine is now over 2 years old - going strong. Paid 800.oo Wish I could have snagged a second one just for my CD's when it hit 500.oo ( no funds then or just now )