What's new

Any experience with AT&T Broadband? (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Can anybody here recommend (or un-recommend) AT&T broadband phone service? I’ve looked into what it would cost to get two phone lines with broadband internet service, and it’s cheaper than what I’m paying for two phone lines and dialup service. Is the phone service reliable, and will my TiVo and DirecTV analog modems still work as well as they do now? Can I still use dialup service over the AT&T cable if I choose not to get the internet service?

I posted this here in AHL since I regard this a phone service question rather than a computer-related question. I hope that is appropriate.

I’m grateful for any insight anyone may have to offer.

Stephen L

Second Unit
Ok Brian I have AT&T Broadband service and can answer your questions.First of all let me say my wife is a supervisor for AT&T's DTS(digital telephone service). We have had no problems with our service altough each case is different but it has been very reliable.My wife says their phone service is not up to Verizon yet but its almost there.Yes you can use your DirectTV & TiVo analog modems as long as they are 56k.We have TiVo ourselves , the new AT&T Series 2 TiVo. The phone line works like a regular phone service as far as dial up internet.When you compare the service it is a good deal with everything bundled.If you have more specific questions I can run them by my wife.

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
I've got AT&T Broadband all the way around, Cable, High-Speed and Digital Phone. Everything works great, but the Billing system for the phone is seriously screwed up. I've had it since September and have had to call customer service every month to straighten out the charges.

Most of this has been fixed, but, there's one issue left. I pay my bills on the 28th of each month. AT&T is due by the next 7th. They send their new bills on the 7th. Every time I've gotten a bill, it has shown late charges because the billing system hasn't been updated by the 7th.

Supposedly this is supposed to be fixed within the next month, but I doubt it.

Otherwise, the lines are very stable.

Long story short, good service, poor book keeping.

Kraig

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Guys. I think I'll take the plunge. This will cut my phone bill almost in half.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Everything works great, but the Billing system for the phone is seriously screwed up. I've had it since September and have had to call customer service every month to straighten out the charges.
Same here. I have had them since Feb. The rates are good, but check your bill! I was being charged $0.35 / min long distance instead of $0.7, and about $2 /min instead of $0.14 for France! :eek: I have had to call with every single bill (3 I believe) to strenghten things out.
--
Holadem

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I think AT&T has broadband internet service everywhere in the world.....except where I live. I've been trying to get any kind of high speed internet service for 6 years. Nothing is available. Yeah, that includes cablemodem, DSL and even Satellite DSL (DirecTVDSL). I may as well live on the moon.

ARGH !!!

Stephen L

Second Unit
I've had it since September and have had to call customer service every month to straighten out the charges.
My wife says that they have had billing problems due to billing system changes , 2 or 3 times in the past 6 months with another coming when the finally merge with Comcast.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I had AT&T Broadband Access (cable modem) and it as awful. Surfing at peak times was actually slower than a 56k modem. So now I have Bellsouth Fast Access (aDSL) and I love my dedicated bandwith. I hate sharing bandwidth with everyone else which is what a cable modem does. I love my DSL service. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kraig Lang

Stunt Coordinator
Stephen,

The ONLY way to pay AT&T Digital Phone is by check through the mail. Now I can understand that 2 weeks may not be enough time to get my payment into the system, but I think it's a little tricky to be sending the next bill on the due date of the previous bill.

BTW, both Broadband Cable and Internet allow for payment by credit card and/or autopay.

This all wouldn't bother me so much if it hadn't been for the other problems previous to this though. For a period of 3 months, I was getting 2 phone bills. It seems that when I ordered the pre-paid 300 minute elong distance plan, the system wasn't set up to accept it, and the long distance charges were double billed at full rate, similar to Holadem's problem. Like I said, it took 3 months to straighten this out.

Don't get me wrong, I like the service, but the billing system leaves a lot to be desired.

Kraig

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks