What's new

Any experience with an AMC 2100-5 amplifier? (1 Viewer)

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Yesterday I order this amp as it seems to be a good value (maybe too good). Any how a brand new one ran me $1,000 and pushes 150WPC of what looks like "clean" power judging by the THD #'s.
I will be using my Onkyo TX DS 797 as a pre/pro for this.
Any suggestions through trial and error that I should be aware of.
P.S. Thanks guys for the past info. This was my solution rather than upgrading to a Denon 5800. Saved $2,000 and am thinking about new main speakers:D
Phil

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Phil: I use the AMC 2N100-5 (150x5) and the 2100 (100x2) with my Rotel 1066 and couldn't be happier. Clean, detailed, dynamic...everything you want it HT! No harsh or fatiguing sound either...hooked them up to my Martin Logan SL3's for fun and was pleasantly surprised at how smooth they were with those very revealing speakers.

I did a lot of research in amps and found the AMC (though not many have heard of them) offer HUGE performace for VERY LITTLE dollars.

Just make sure you turn the gains up all the way on each channel (little nob on the back) and you'll be good to go!

Enjoy!

E

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Thanks Eric:)
Do you use the two channel for the 7.1 surround. If so who is the effect from 100WPC on those two speakers -vs- 150 wpc on the front 5?
Thanks
Phil

GordonL

Supporting Actor
Phil,
Did you buy it local or mail-order? I hate to tell you, but you could have saved some serious change going mail-order. Without looking very hard, I found it for $650. Could probably find it cheaper if I dug a little deeper. Anyhow, since your budget was $1000, you could have also considered the Outlaw, ATI, or a Parasound.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Phil: Yes, I use the 2100 to complete my 7.1 system. I'm toying with using the 2100 for either the side surrounds or the back two centers...haven't decided yet. Either way I notice no difference in the 100 vs. 150 amps for any of the speakers. I might if I really cranked the heck out of my system, because the 150 would provide a bit more headroom.
AMC does make a two and even three channel version of the 2N100-5 (called 2N100-2 and 2N100-3 respectively) but I just couldn't justify the need for another 150x2 for surrounds since they don't draw as much current like the front three do!
Heck for the price of the 2N100-5 I was SERIOUSLY tempted to buy another one and bi-amp everything! :D
E

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Thanks Erik!!!

GordanL...I know I could have saved some change, however, I enjoy the relationship with my dealer. I would glady overpay a little and get superior service from an "in town" person than have a problem down the road and not have a contact or warranty.

Maybe I'm still a little old fashioned. I did just purchase a used Carver AV405 off the internet that has not come in yet.

Phil

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
You can find the 2N100-5 on ebay consistently at $500 or lower. Just an FYI...you can also find many of them on the numerous Yahoo stores.

Phil: What speakers are you running the AMC's with?

Here's what I have going:

Energy's AC-300, C-2's (2 pair), & Axiom QS-8's.

E

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Erik,

I'm using Klipsch speakers.

Center: RC-7
Mains: KLF-20
Surrounds: RF-3
Rear: RC-3
Sub: KSW-15

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread