What's new

Any experience w/ Definitive Technology Speakers? (1 Viewer)

Tony K

Auditioning
While shopping for speakers yesterday I was introduced to a brand theat I had not heard of before -- Definitive Technology. The salesman talked them up pretty good and I listened and was impressed with the sound of both music and movies.

I am considering purchasing the following set-up and would like comments from the forum:

Receiver: Yamaha RXV2400

Definitive Technology Speakers
Fronts: BP6B Towers
Center: CLR2002B
R/L Surrounds: BP1.2XBLK
Rear Surrounds: BP1.2XBLK
Subwoofer: PS200BL (12" Powered Sub)

Does anyone here have any experience with Definitive, and would you recommend them? I am looking to get the best system that I can get for $2000 - $2500 (7.1 Receiver & Speakers)

Thanks,
Tony

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I have owned BP 2002,s and CLR 2002 for some time. They are powered by a B&K 5 channel amp. Have always been pleased on movies and music. Some dislike the" bipolar" sound but not me. Others advise against power towers but that won't apply to the BP6's.If You like their sound, that's what matters most.

Aaron_S

Grip
I agree with Joe that if you like the sound go for it. I like the def tech's too, it also depends on if you want a full front soundstage or if you like seperation. Bipolars will fill in the gaps but you may be missing some seperation. I guess just go by what you want and sounds best.

RussD

Agent
tony, i'll chime in also. my system is totally def-tech. i love the bipolar sound and with a little work with placement imaging can be very good. great speakers imo.

Bryan-M

Auditioning
I've had Def-Tech speakers for the past 4 years. I love them!! They sound great. They image well and they don't require allot of power because of their sensitivity. I have the older BP 30s with two Supercube I subs for the mains and the CLR 2000 series for the center with BPX surrounds. Since I have had these speakers, I have not even thought of checking out anything else. Total envelopment/Totally awesome. You can't go wrong with these babies.

Bryan-M

Mike JL

Grip
I have Def techs, also. BP10B mains and a Procenter C2 purchased about 18 months ago, 4 - BP2X surrounds added in the last month. I love them. Great for music and HT.

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I think the Definite Tech's are great speakers. I had mine for two years before I just switched over to B&W. My only problem with the Definitive Techs, and others have said this as well, your ears will get fatigued from them. After watching something like LOTRs or other long movies, I always couldn't stand to have them running that long, I would have to get out of the house or do something else before I could sit down and watch another movie. With the B&Ws (I only have the 600 series), I've spent well over 4 hours just listening to straight music and I could've gone a lot longer. The B&Ws don't seem to wear out my ears as much and I could have them (which now I do) running all the time when I watch TV/Movies/Music. The Definitive Techs I can honestly say I couldn't listen to them like that. Not saying they are bad speakers by ANY means...don't get me wrong. It's just something I've found out for myself since having both company's speakers.

I was (and somewhat still am) a fan of definitive tech, but I'm not a bigger fan of B&W. You might or might not like them better, but I would HIGHLY recommend at least checking out a couple B&Ws and do some extensive listening of both.

I guess I could be considered one of the people that got converted over to the B&W sound. They (being B&W) don't sound similar to Definitive Tech, they are actually a quite different sounding speaker, so you might or might not like them. Definitely would try to Demo a set for yourself and see.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Dan: I have never acctually realized that. I can listen to music or movies for a long time without any fatigue with my Bostons. Hmmm never acctually thought of that.

RussD

Agent
dan, do to the bipolar design of def-tech speakers, their sound may be affected by room characteristics and placement, moreso than a standard front-firing speaker. some well-placed acoustic treatment may work wonders, it did in my room. i am convinced the extra effort is worth it. the sound of a properly set up bipolar is, in my opinion, outstanding.

JasonWUC

Agent
I have DefTech all the way around (BP30s, CLR 2000, BP1xs) and I am looking for some new speakers. They are absolutely fantastic with movies but, I really am not impressed with their detail in music. (I got these at a fantastic deal.) The DefTechs take a lot of time to place correcly.

If you love the sound, get 'em. You are the one that counts here.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
I used to had an all DEf Tech set up for years,I was happy with them till I've heard some other brands,[like my current Polk LSI,Vienna Acoustics,Magnepan,Sonus Faber],and quickly realized they just don't cut it anymore.There are lots of options for that kinda money.Shop and audition around!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks