Any experiance with Ubid.com

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steven_B, Sep 18, 2001.

1. Steven_B

Steven_B Agent

I wondered onto their site and tried to figure out how it works, but didn't get very far. Does anybody know how it works and know if it is safe. Thanks Steve

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

don't buy any refurb stuff from ubid... you never get what you expect and you probably overpaid for what you got. for new stuff, if you've got the patience. sometimes you can find really good out of date stuff for really cheap. Usually if it's something fairly new and in somewhat high demand you get a lot of idiots that jack the prices up way tooo high... I got some really cool outdoor rock speakers for like 80 bux for the pair. and I lucked out and got a 250rms/1000peak watt 15 inch advent 550s subwoofer for $250 including shipping a long time ago.
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I've bought a few items from Ubid, including two receivers. Absolutely no problems with Ubid.

4. Harry W

Harry W Stunt Coordinator

Got a watch from them last year.No problem.
    ------------------
    HEW,JR

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I've bought 40-50 items from them over the past few years and in all those times, I got one, only one, broken item. All the rest, including refurbs, were perfect. Actually, I wish that more folks thought like JohnnyN, then I wouldn't have to bid so high on the next refurbed items that I've been trying to buy... [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Take Care,
    merc
    ----------------
    [​IMG]
    God Bless America!!!
    [Edited last by John Morris on September 18, 2001 at 07:29 AM]

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    I just bought a couple Compaq ipaq 3150 PDAs from them for $157 each. The only problem that I had was that they were adding new warehouses and I had to wait an extra week before I got my stuff. Otherwise they came in boxes from Compaq and sealed. Brandnew items.
    I have only bought these two items from them. But had no problems at all.
    Parker

7. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Caveat emptor here. Anyway, their shipping charge is way too high.

8. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

Purchased 2 items about 3 weeks ago. Both were new items, and arrived undamaged. I would have appreciated double boxing for what I payed in shipping.
    Fed-Ex Ground really screwed me. I stayed home from work to receive my toys, and received a door hanger saying they had tried to deliver. Happened again the next day!!! I was so mad, the third day I just picked it up at their office.

9. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

I bought a BRAND new Sherwood Newcastle reciever for under cost ($469). Shipping was $12. That's a deal. Try and find that reciever for under $999, I dare you [​IMG]

10. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I bought parts of my first HT system through them. A Sherwood receiver and four Wharfedale speakers. Since I live in Canada I had them sent to a friend in Seattle. Good pricing if you watch it diligently. As said before, shipping is a bit on the high side but if you get a good deal its worth it.
    Patrick
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection

11. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

I've purchased a number of things from UBid, both new and refurbished and have had nothing but great experiences. You can really find some great deals there, just make sure that you know exactly what you're bidding on, what it normally costs new and how much the shipping will be.

12. Frank Frandsen

Frank Frandsen Stunt Coordinator

Bought alot of stuff from Ubid. Shipping is high but they spell it out for each item so figure that in for your total price. They do not charge tax. you can get great deals. I've noticed alot of new Acurus products being auctioned off for cheap and then being resold on Audiogon.

13. Kevin Goodwin

Kevin Goodwin Stunt Coordinator

I've used Ubid several times, and have had no problems. However, they DO charge taxes in some areas. I think it depends on where their wharehouses are. I get charged tax every time here in IL.

14. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas Second Unit

My only experiece was buying a brand new Sherwood Newcastle R-956 for $449 plus $19.99 for two day FEDEX. Came brand new in box with 3 year Newcastle warranty.
    Great receiver, very clean power and 6.1 surround.
    http://www.sherwoodusa.com/newcastle/rec_fm2.htm

15. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Just purchased a new Acurus A200X5 for $869.00. The unit is new and was shipped double boxed with the manufacturers 2 year warranty.
    Also purchased a new IBM 21" monitor with 3 year warranty for about $200 less than anyone on pricewatch.
    Ubid sells anything and everything;new, refurbs, closeouts,
    etc. They always state the status, warranty length and warranty provider. Shipping is always unreasonable.
    I have stayed away from the refurbs to avoid potential problems. New with full manufacturers warranty seems fine.
    Also, do not be in a hurry to bid too high on an item, they almost always run several lots of the same item. If you bid and lose you can watch the actual going rate.

16. rin

rin Stunt Coordinator

I've bought a digital camera, two pairs of floor standing speakers(Wharfedale-shipping was reasonable), and the latest is a JVC 723 DVD player. I have been happy with Ubid's service on all of these purchases and have got prices sometimes hundreds less than anywhere else. I believe all were refurbs.
    rin
    ------------------
    My Home Theater

17. DinoT

DinoT Auditioning

I too have bought many items from UBid for the last 3 years or so. I consider myseilf a UBid veteran and have gotten some excellent deals. Most of my transactions were satisfactory. I had 3 issues in over 50 items that I bought. A couple of years ago I bought a TNT2 card only to discover that I got a TNT2 M64 and I had an issue with a damaged pressure washer, and once they overcharged me on shipping (they claimed an item weighed 100lbs when it really weighed 60lbs) All three were satisfactorily resolved after calling them. (They never answer email) Overall I have been pretty satisfied. They ship relatively quickly (if they are doing the shipping. Sometimes they ship from another vendor).
    PAY VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO SHIPPING. They typically will rape you on shipping especially on heavy items.
    Don't go nuts and bid on somehting the first time you see it. Typically they will have an item every night for a while. Follow the auctions of items that you are interested in to see where they tend to end up. I typically follow an item for a week. When you are ready, bid on the item that you have been watching right when the auction starts. (Earlier bids get the tiebreaks) Do this for auctions that end on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Bid one increment lower than the lowest price that you have seen it close at. Keep doing this and you will get your item. Like I said I have gotten some incredible deals. I have some Klipsch speakers in my bedroom, I have been seeing a lot of Parasound/Madrigal amps and pre-amps lately.
    Happy bidding,
    Dino