Any ETF experts here?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by RichardHOS, Sep 12, 2003.

1. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

I have an odd problem with setting up ETF with my hardware. I've posted the problem at AVS and AA forums... if there is anyone here that really knows their ETF stuff that hasn't/won't see the post at the other foums, speak up and I'll describe what's going on.

2. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

What does Doug say when you call his 1-800-302-1423 support number?

3. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

To be honest, and I explained this in one of the posts on another forum as well, I wanted to explore the online community's resources first. Often it's a simple thing I'm overlooking, and though the company may have customer support just for such questions, for some reason I feel like I'm wasting their time. When a forum member helps out, they are donating their time. Odd, yeah, but that's me.

More than that though, I've often found that the various responses I get to such questions online ultimately lead me to a deeper understanding of the problem. It might take longer to solve, with plenty of erroneous suggestions and more work on my part, but all of that usually helps me to understand what is really happening. If I called customer support right off, and they said "oh, we've seen that before with that sound card, open this option panel and check this box here..." I might get a quick and correct answer but have no increased comprehension of what was causing that anomaly.

Not like I wait around forever though... if there aren't any suggestions that seem to be heading the right direction over the weekend, then I'll call Acousti Soft directly see what they have to say.

lol... probably a lot more answer than you cared about, and I know it might be a bit of a strange outlook on things, but hey... you asked! [​IMG] I suppose I'll post the question here as well, in case someone here has some insight.

4. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

From another forum:

5. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

I talked with my resident guru and he suggested using the analog sections of the dbx .

He says that computer audio products are usually happiest operating at 48kHz, but that frequently outboard devices like the dbx aren't, they prefer 44.1kHz. As a result one can to get sampling rate problems when the devices linked with an all digital path. So he suggests having only one digital clock in the circuit that of the M-Audio unit

6. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

That would probably have been my choice, but unfortuntately my specific model of soundcard (the Dio 2496) has no analog inputs whatsoever. I have no choice, so long as I stick with this hardware, but to use an outboard A/D converter (and this particular dbx unit has selectable 44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz sampling with 16/20/24 bit wordlength, so I would guess it shouldn't have a problem with either my soundcard or ETF on those grounds).

I'm also not sure how to use the Delta Dio to control the clock in the dbx... the dbx has an AES/BEU wordclock input, and the Delta has no such output. I'm sure there is some device that will take a digital output from the Delta and generate a synced wordclock for the dbx, but the money might as well be spent on a cheap consumer soundcard in that case that has an analog input.

Maybe I can rig a way to send the dbx analog outputs into my SBLive. I'll work on that this weekend. Seems a shame though to have this nice soundcard with exceptional SNR (from my recording hobby) and not make further use of it. [​IMG]

Thanks for trying TW... I'll give Doug a call Monday if nothing promising develops over the weekend.

7. RichardHOS

RichardHOS Second Unit

Well, ETF seems to be happy enough with the SBLive! for now. Haven't received any promising suggestions on any of the forums yet, so I'll probably contact ETF when I get a chance during lunch next week. Someone mentioned an ETF discussion group, and google pulls up a few links back to ETFacoustic's site, but I can't find mention of a discussion group anywhere there.

As for ETF itself, man... this software is powerful and easy to use. Screw the manual RatShack SPL meter and test CD method, which is what I was trying to do for the past few days since my BFD arrived. Hitting a button to instantly generate a new frequency response graph is much better if you're just using a trial and error method for generating filters (which seems to work as well as anything else - my experience thus far is that trying to generate an inverse filter mathematically for freq/gain/bandwith settings just doesn't produce the results you expect... just as easy to dial in the correct filter manually).

8. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer