Any electronic/IDM/trance/industrial music fans here?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kenneth Harden, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Autechre
    Front Line Assembly
    Amon Tobin
    Prodigy
    Paul van Dyk
    Boards of Canada
    DJ Shadow
    DJ Spooky
    DJ Krush
    Steve Roach
    Robert Rich

Anyone? Stuff like that?

If so, what CD's stand out as being well recorded?

2. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I am a huge FLA fan-consider them in my top 10 if not top 5.

I think their latest full-length Civilization sounds great. All of their stuff usually does, but this has more power than Implode and Everything Must Perish.

3. AricB

AricB Second Unit

josh wink-hearhere
    meat beat manifesto-subliminal sandwhich or actual sounds and voices
    tricky-maxinquay or blowback
    primal scream-xtrmntr
    moby-play or everything is wrong
    front 242-tyranny for you
    machines of loving grace-concentration
    NIN-pretty much anything, well recorded the fragile

I'm not big into that genre(electronic, etc. I'm more a rock guy), but those are some of the albums I like along that lines.

4. Kenneth Harden

Andrew:

I bought my first FLA CD about a month ago thanks to Tower Records sample machines. I have Implode and Civilization. What should I get next?

Best track is 'Civilization' off that album - little speakers will MELT with that track.

Really cool stuff.

I love FLA, what else might I like? I prefer the darker, quieter (not a lot of screaming and distorted grutars) sounds of FLA to a lot of other industrial music, what might I like?

Thanks!

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    BT - Emotional Technology - very well recorded.
    - Rare&Remixed is cool too. Need a good sub for these [​IMG]

ATB - Movin Melodies - fun, a bit popish, but some good tracks. Good variety.

DJ Tiesto - In My Memory - I use this to audition speakers sometimes. Pretty well recorded, mellow, relatively good variety on the album. The mix CD Nyana is pretty good too.

The Crystal Method - Vegas - Must have!!

Tricky - Maxinquay is a must have too. Very cool.

Hybrid - Morning Sunshine - has a few good tracks - see if you can locate some MP3 samples, if you like them, you will like the album.

Orbital - In Sides. Melodic, fun. Newer albums got worse as they went along, IMO.

If you like FLA, you will want to listen to as many of their member's other bands - Delerium, Conjure One(awsome), etc... I think the two main guys each have like 4 or 5 side projects.

Meat Beat Manifesto - RUOK is interesting. Not for everyone.

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Kenneth,

Definitely get Epitaph (I mistakenly said Everything Must Perish before-that was Epitaph's lead single). Epitaph is their full length from 2001, and falls between Implode and Civilization. I tend to see Civilization as a mix of Implode and Epitaph. You should like it. Epitaph has next to no guitars on it. Also, FLA put out a mini-EP called Vanished, which is remixes and two non-album tracks from Civilization. Worth a look too. You might also like 1997's FLAvour Of The Weak, which also has no guitars. Everything before that for FLA was a lot more aggro (but still good stuff).

It's also worth checking out Rhys and Bill's side projects. IMO they are on the top of the heap when it comes to programming and instrumentation. They have a large catalog.

Bill and Rhys' most commercially successful spin-off is Delerium, which started out as a very experimental side project in early 90's but transformed into an Enigma-ish project. They have four full-length releases from the past 10 years: Semantic Spaces, Karma, Poem and Chimera. Rhys left Delerium and FLA in 2000 I think, so he was not involved with Poem or Chimera. He was also not involved with FLA's Epitaph, but he did come back to FLA on Civilization. Karma seems to be Delerium's most acclaimed release, and it featured their most successful single, "Silence" featuring Sarah McLachlan. Mostly female vocal stuff and some instrumental stuff. There is a best of Delerium from this period, but most of the tunes are radio edits which really don't do them justice-the longer proper versions are better at creating the mood intended for the song. The Best of is still recommended if you get into them and want some non-album tracks. If I had to recommend one CD from Delerium it would be Karma with Chimera a strong second.

Rhys has a side project called Conjure One that has one release from 2002. Very similar to Delerium, except a little more symphonic to my ears. Again, instrumentals and female guest vocalists like Sinead O'Connor and Poe.

Another older Rhys/Bill side project from the 90's was Noise Unit. Didn't care for the older NU stuff, but Drill is a really cool dark instrumental album.

They've done a lot of other side projects, but these are the ones I like the most, and fall closest to FLA IMO.

And the good news is, there are new FLA, Delerium, Noise Unit and Conjure One releases due in 2005. It's gonna be a good year indeed.

It's hard for me to think of any other projects similar to FLA/Delerium/C1, because to me they have such a signature sound, if I hear someone treading similar ground I'm usually disappointed as it's never as good as Rhys or Bill.

I'll look over my catalog some more and see if I can find some others in a similar vein.

EDIT: If you haven't checked out Juno Reactor, give them a look. Their last three releases are Bible Of Dreams, Shango and Labyrinth. Another project with a signature sound. If you don't know JR already, they recently had some tracks on the Matrix sequel (the freeway chase scene in Reloaded was one of their tunes-it's actually on their latest release). I wouldn't be surprised if you've heard snippets of their music in sportscasts, commercials and the like.

And for the record I am also a huge Enigma fan, and the last Deep Forest release, Music Detected, was another great release in the genre.

And finally, [​IMG], FLA and JR's label, Metropolis Records (www.metropolis-records.com), has a very large catalog that you can check out.

7. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

did anyone mention underworld?

a lot of great bands already mentioned, but i'll toss in one of my current faves that's getting a lot of rotation.

thievery corporation - the richest man in babylon

a little more mellow then some of the stuff listed, maybe more in lines of delerium, etc. anyway, great great album. check it out!

some other faves of mine...although a little more on the mellow/chill side of da house:

chicane, conjure one, deep forrest (the first album), enigma (first one is *awesome), hooverphonic, massive attack, morcheeba, the orb, orbital, saint etienne, etc...

8. Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall Screenwriter

This thread totally gels with my musical tastes. For industrial, try early My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult like "I See Good Spirits, I See Bad Spirits" and "Confessions of a Knife".

Slightly off topic, but Slowdive - "Just for a Day" is beyond value.

On topic: Autechre always pleases.

As does Tear Garden. "Crystal Mass" and "Tired Eyes Slowly Burning" for example.

Martin.

9. Kenneth Harden

John:

I have that Tiesto CD - very cool disc. Sounds great, clean, slow, powerful

Crystal Method is great, wish they could top Vegas [​IMG]

Andrew:

Forgot Juno Reactor [​IMG] - yes, they are great. Yes, I have heard their music in the mainstream, good for them!

I have spent a lot of time in Metropolis's site, and a lot of the music seems too 'noisey' to me, just FLA and JR are great!

Thanks everyone! I will have a lot of stuff to check out.

Ted:

I have a few Theivery Corp. CD's, great stuff, too. I love ambient stuff (Roach, Rich, etc.)

10. John Garcia

John
    If you can locate Chicane's first album, it's great. I have a copy from a friend who picked it up overseas, but I have yet to see it in stores here. The newer album is Ok.

I liked the second Crystal Method album, but Legion of Boom leaves a lot to be desired. Community Service was pretty decent, with some interesting tracks they did with/for other bands.

I recently picked up the new Tiesto - Just Be; not bad at all, but not as good as Memory.

I have all of Delerium's albums, and I like all of them. Though a bit tame, and a bit different sounding from the first two, I like Poem a lot. Chimera is very good too, but my personal favorite is Semantic Spaces (if you like the whole Deep Forest/Enigma sound). You might like Odessey, the remix collection.

Conjure One is a must have in this genre, IMO. Look for the special edition, it has a few cool bonus tracks. Good to hear that a new album is on the way.

I really like the latest Enigma album Voyageur. Nice new basslines.

I'm really hesitant on the "Last" Orbital album, as I literally hated their previous album and was not impressed with their Back to Mine release. Anyone listened to it?

NP: Enigma - Boum-Boum - Voyageur

11. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

2 words:

bill laswell

12. Kenneth Harden

Scott:

I am familiar with him, but I need some suggestions!

Thanks everyone, keep em' coming!

I thought I might get one lucid reponce, this is great!

13. John Garcia

John
    Oh yeah, forgot about - another one worth checking out is the Requiem for a Dream soundtrack: Remixed.

Chemical Brothers - Exit Planet Dust

14. AricB

AricB Second Unit

I forgot to mention the Orb-Live 93 double cd is my favorite.
    Also, Enigma has some good stuff, MLTKK-I only have Sexplosion but it's decent, recently saw them live, and will have to pick up some older stuff.

propellerheads-decksanddrumsandrockandroll

15. Sue_New

Sue_New Stunt Coordinator

While not a huge fan of house techno, I'm a huge fan of these artists:

Rank 1 - "Airwave" is still my favorite trance song.

Voodoo and Serano - I'm a sucker for the Blade soundtracks for 1 and 2 (3rd movie sucked for music and content)

Chicane
    Delerium
    Enigma

Faithless - love their stuff, even their slower, folkier stuff

Ministry of Sound - Trance Nation Vol. 1

4 Strings
    E Nomine
    Darude
    Funker Vogt
    God Module

I also love dancier tunes from the likes of:
    Sylver
    Fragma
    Iio
    DJ Sammy
    E-Type
    Sash!
    Ian Van Dahl

I know I'm forgetting some, but I'll add them as I remember.

Rollergirl :b

16. WarrenL

WarrenL Stunt Coordinator

Navigator
    Redshift
    Harald Grosskopf
    Fanger & Schonwalder
    Michael Rother
    Sunya Beat
    Ashra
    Manuel Gottsching
    Steve Baltes
    Free System Projekt

17. Bob Turnbull

Bob Turnbull Supporting Actor

Foolish Ken, who knows not what he is getting himself into, asks about Bill Laswell:

Hoo boy...Not an easy question to answer. Laswell has been producing and playing bass on countless albums over the last 25 years or so and has/had a number of his own labels. He helped create Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" which was very influential in its day and has gone on to produce or play with people like Peter Gabriel, Mick Jagger, Sonny Sharrock, Pharoah Sanders, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Ginger Baker, DJ Spooky, etc. He covers funk, ambient, dub, noise, avant garde jazz, etc.

Some faves that might apply to the conversation at hand include:

Material - Hallucination Engine - Laswell's band Material had pretty much morphed into an entity at this point where just about anyone could join (even if only for a song or two). Hugely funky and rhythmic, this is a mixture of dub with world beats (Indian, African, Arabic) and funky jazz.

Bill Laswell - Permutation - Electronic dub with deep beats and spacey echo reverb.

Bill Laswell/Jah Wobble - RadioAxiom: A Dub Transmission - Throbbing trance like states will envelop you.

Praxis - Laswell, Bootsy, Bernie, Brain & Buckethead. Crazy chopped and mixed up samples stutter their way through the first half of this disc in different funky ways. And then you're hit with the blitzkrieg power of Buckethead's guitar solo in "Seven Laws Of Woo" (on almost any comp tape/CD I put together) followed by the gorgeous funk of "The Interworld And The New Innocence". Worth it alone for these 2 tunes. The rest of the disc will have you jittery for days...

Tabla Beat Science - Live In San Francisco At Stern Grove - 2 disc set of throbbing tabla driven tight grooves. The opening track is a beautiful 16 minute slow sarangi/tabla duet which lulls the listener into it's beauty. Then the beginning of "Sacred Channel" snaps you out of it as the drummer joins in and they're off...And they don't stop. Throw in a turntablist and Laswell's deep bass and it's just damn great...

Lots of other stuff to investigate. Other personal faves are Nicky Skopelitis' Ekstasis and Sonny Sharrock's Seize The Rainbow.

As for IDM, I'll need some more time to think about it...Amon Tobin is a definite favourite, but I also like u-ziq, Mocean Worker (his first 2) and Spring Heel Jack.

18. ScottCHI

ScottCHI Screenwriter

thanks, bob. lord knows, i didn't know what to say! his influence, even upon the other music mentioned in this thread, is monstrous. i'm a huge fan.

[​IMG]

laswell? just dive in. there's all sorts of sounds in there to explore. i have a ton of stuff that he either plays on or, much more numerous than that, had his fingers in.

i recently bought his aftermathematics cd. great turntable stuff, with the same turntablist as was on rockit over 20 years ago.

occillations is pretty uptempo and thumpy.

axiom dub if you can get your hands on it.

of course, check out the miles davis remixes, panthalassa, too, if you haven't.

one of my faves is sacred system: chapter 2.