Any EEs or CompEs unemployed or looking for work? Read on.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by LDfan, Nov 12, 2001.

1. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Hi Folks,
    The Patent and Trademark office here in Northern Va is trying to fill approx 500 Patent Examiner positions. The pay is kick-ass and so are the benefits. No I don't work for them but I'm trying to! Several of my friends work there and love it.
    If anyone is interested just email me and I can tell you more about these positions.
    Just trying to help some fellow HTF members out.
    Jeff

2. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    The PTO is ALWAYS looking for examiners. It's hard to attract good talent in an up market but now they may have a better chance.
    It's a civil-service job so the pay may be less than a job in commercial companies. BUT...
    They will pay to have you get a JD in their program with George Washington University's law school. They even teach some classes at the PTO so you don't have to drive over there.
    Once you have worked there 4 or 5 years, they WAIVE the requirement to take the "patent bar exam" to become a patent attorney. Since this is the toughest exam around (about a 30% pass rate - ask me how I know) this is another great deal.
    So after 5 years you become a patent attorney on their dime. This is a hell of a deal. Patent attorneys are, on average, the HIGHEST paid of all attorneys. And the demand for your services is recession-proof. Again, I should know. I got a job as corporate counsel this fall in a down market.

3. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

The pay rate seems to be excellent. Someone starting fresh out of school with a lower GPA will start at approx 39k then bumped to 45k in 6 months. Then every year thereafter up and up and up.
    My friend has been there for almost 4 years. He started at around 30k and makes 59k right now, 69k in January.
    They say after 4-5 years you make approx 80k.
    Plus they pay 100% for any graduate schooling or law school. My friend is getting a free ride through Catholic university in DC courtesy of PTO.
    Man, I wish I had an engineering degree instead of a biology degree. It's a lot harder to get in there.
    Jeff