What's new

Any Edmontonians have/hear SVS! (1 Viewer)

Brad H

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad H
So with the recent shifts in the Cdn dollar - SVS has become a better deal than a year ago - what about a 25% gain in value.

Question: I've got a Mini Mon, ADP's, CC370 setup and am currently seeking a new sub. I have an old completely crappy Pioneer 8inch down firing sub.

Has/does any one in Alberta have or heard SVS?
Curious as to opinions - it's a shot in the dark but SVS is getting good press and reviews (although I don't always believe everything I've read but need to hear before coming to any conclusions).

Cheers!
Brad

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
I've always wanted to hear one too, I completly forgot that with our doller going up the SVS becomes more and more affordable :)

I dream of the days I can finally ditch this Mirage BPS150i and upgrade to a SVS.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
I think there is one guy from the Edmonton area who has one and posts here. Cannot remember who...

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
I don't have one, but I have a Tempest in a 194L vented enclosure. I was leaning towards SVS but it was too costly at the time. I was looking at a PC+ 20-39 but it was around $1200 CND shipped+duty+taxes. Instead I built a Tempest sub for $400 CND and I am in bass heaven. I have a perfect flat response from 16hz-80hz and loads of clean SPL. Something to think about ....... if you have the time and patience.

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Sorry, I forgot to mention. You guys can always contact me through email ([email protected]) if you want to come over and hear a real subwoofer :). From what I understand, the SVS subs should sound very similar (and some even better) to my DIY sub. Just FYI, most friends that come over don't even think my sub is impressive because of it's flat response and clean output. Then I throw in Matrix Reloaded and that quickly changes when I bring my home to it's knees. I'm so lucky I have cool neighbors :).

Max F

Second Unit
Joe, is that the Adire Alighnment. That's what i'm seriously thinking about building.

Mmmmm, flat response to 16hz...that's what i'm after.:emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Mihok

Second Unit
Max - Nope. I chose the SBB4 due to it's smaller enclosure. It's basically a perfect 24 inch cube. I had a huge peak at 56 hz and a dip at 63 hz but that was because of my room and I flattened everything perfectly with a BFD. The sub is tuned to 18 hz but for some reason is 2db's louder at 16 hz than at 18 and 20. If I were to do this project again, I would go for the EBS design. I'm really curious to see how low that bad boy can go, probably 13-14 hz ..... scary stuff :).

Kris_M

Auditioning
I have a PB12 ISD2 and my brother has a PB10 ISD and we both live in Edmonton. He got his sub about a week ago and it came in about $650 CDN after shipping and customs and GST. My PB12 ISD2 came in alot more expensive partly due to $190 US shipping (Yikes)

I like my sub a lot, to me it was worth the expense and the exchange is a lot better now than when I got my SVS.(last march) It can shake the house when called upon but still is good IMO for music. My last sub was a Paradigm PW2200 it was OK but the SVS is great. I am already getting itchy to upgrade, that PC Ultra looks tasty!

Brad H

Auditioning
Real Name
Brad H
Hey Guys

Thanks for the input. $$$$ is going to definitely play the biggest part of my decision, as we are adding to our family this weekend!!!

So I had the PW2200 on my list of listened too, and wasn't jumping up and down about, among others, although in Canada Paradigm seems to have a great pricing, and bang for the buck.

So Joe you must have great cabinet building skills. I'm not much of a carpenter and would be unsure about the project, although DIY is alway intriguing. I've never built gear, just stuck to RENO's and speaker stands.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers
Brad

JurgenV

Grip
Brad (and anyone else considering DIY), you don't need to be a professional carpenter to go the DIY sub route. This past summer I contstructed an Adire Alignment Tempest with a plate amp in roughly three days. I started on the Friday morning of a long weekend, picked up some wood and glue at RONA and started building. By Sunday evening I was gluing and clamping the enclosure together. It's solid as a rock. After work on Monday I was in bass heaven. The only other "wood-working" I've ever done was in shop class way back in junior high school. I hammered four long pieces of wood into another, flatter, piece of wood and called it a table. Anyways, visually, the sub doesn't look like anything special, but functionally it is abso-frigg'n-lutely incredible! If you've got a few days to work on it, definitely consider DIY.

Other HTF members have exquisitely crafted and finished DIY subs. That's where the carpentry skills are needed.

Aaron_Mum

Stunt Coordinator
To continue going off topic:

Anyone care to share a couple of the best links to building DIY subs? Just looking to save a couple hours of fishing thought the DIY section.

My brother has been learning under an amazing cabinet maker over the past year, I think I just thought of a project for him!:D

And I thought my PW2100 would satisfy...

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Every time I put up a posting on the internet inviting people to come over and experience my "great big powered cylinder" I only seem to attrack gay men who have no intrest in fine audio equipment.

Maybe I'm spelling something wrong :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks