What's new

Any Early Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones Soundtrack CD Reviews? (1 Viewer)

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Oh cool, so yours is the poster art cover with the 14 tracks then, Craig? I hope that is the case here too then.

Dan

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Bought a copy at FYE down at 30th St. Station here in Philly. Man, does this sound sooooooo much better than TPM. Although at first I was a little thrown off by the electric guitar on track 3 (I think), I've kinda grown use to it and it feels like it fits.

This score has much of the needed romanticism and sweep of the OT scores, thus feeling like an actual SW score. Duel Of The Fates is still an awesome track, but that score as a whole does not compare favorably to this new one. Thank goodness.

As far as track 14, it will probably be available on the web somewhere.

Eric Taylor

Agent
Actually I work at the local Wal-mart here and we had our copies of the soundtrack out at midnight last night. I do know that Wal-mart did get an exclusive Star Wars Episode II Soundtrack Screensaver on the copy that I bought...marked right on the front of the cd's.

Oh and by the way just to let everyone know..the four cd covers are: Original Poster Art, Jango Fett, Anakin/Amidala, Yoda.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Anyone in the Toronto Canada area had any luck finding the version with the bonus track? I've tried a Walmart, HMW, & Music World.:frowning:

rob kilbride

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rob Kilbride
Anyone else notice that there is an awful lot of hiss for a modern recording? Granted I crank the treble pretty high, but normally on newer recordings there is still no audible hiss.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Amazon claim it's copy protected so it won't play on computer CD players. Is this just standard (like the constant claims of RCE on DVDs) or does it really include that?:frowning:

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Theo, some have managed to get it running in PCs using specific bits of software to rip MP3s for personal portable use, some have not. There's definately some kind of protection.

Dan

I didn't notice any copy protection on it.
I was able to play it just fine on a CD-ROM and even made a MP3 of it... for my own use of course! :)

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
I picked up the 14 track CD at Target yesterday. The Yoda, Stormtrooper, Anakin and Portman, and Poster Art covers all have the bonus track.

The sound quality of Attack of the Clones is superb. Shawn Murphy did an excellent job, as the sound is nice and warm with a great "you are there" concert hall perspective. The Phantom Menace, on the other hand, is too bright and too close-miked.

As for the music itself, I'm very disappointed. The "Love Theme" is generic and uninspired. It is simply the "Main Title" from Hook mated with "The Face of Pan" from Hook as arranged by James Horner. It sounds as if John Williams spent about 5 minutes composing it. The rest of the action music is Williams re-hashing Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, albeit with more experimental orchestration (e.g. track 3). Williams has also taken a page out of Horner's book, as the female vocal at about 1:20 on track 13 is a direct rip-off from Vaughn Williams Symphony No. 7. Attack of the Clones, like every Williams' score since 1993, shows that Williams has completely run out of ideas.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
It is simply the "Main Title" from Hook mated with "The Face of Pan" from Hook as arranged by James Horner.
Funny, but it struck me as being a different take on the Star Wars main title theme (and a brilliant one, at that). So if it sounds like Hook to you, perhaps it's because Hook is a "ripoff" of Star Wars.
Evan

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Anyone else notice that there is an awful lot of hiss for a modern recording?
YES!!! That was the first thing I noticed. At first I thought it was just the crappy amp in my car, but it has the same 'hiss' at home. It's a shame, since this is such a great score.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Great soundtrack. My CD (with the Jango (?) Fett cover), has the stupid "Not Playable on PC or Mac" protection. I suspect it's a UK thing. There is no "CD-ROM" logo on the casing whatsoever (that'll save 'em a court case).

The irony is I only decided to buy the CD after d/loading and liking some MP3 rips of the soundtrack... Really, I never put an audio CD in my PC DVD-ROM drive anyway - I'm just concerned that the disc won't play on some future CD-player I buy.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
At first I thought it was just the crappy amp in my car, but it has the same 'hiss' at home. It's a shame, since this is such a great score.
I never noticed it with my old set up, but I just got a new proe/pro and last night this was the first disc I tested. The new component "revealed" a lot of hiss. Actually had me worried, but it's a bit of a relief to know that it is definitely on the disc itself.

Anyway, I LOVE this soundtrack! I find myself listening over and over again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks