Any early reviews on Diana Krall: Live in Paris ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Marc Colella, Mar 30, 2002.

1. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

I haven't seen any reviews yet and it's release date is April 2nd.

Amazon specs list it as anamorphic widescreen and DTS.

Can anyone confirm these specs?

Any early reviews on the net?

2. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Marc, I've had the disc for a couple of days and yes, it's 16x9 and has a dts track. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to sit down and enjoy the whole thing but man do I want to; I watched three concert tracks and one of the videos, then sampled the bonus rehearsal footage. All of it was superbly sung and recorded and it looks gorgeous.

3. Marc Colella

Thanks for the response Patrick.

Please keep us posted once you do get the chance to listen/view the concert.

4. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

I had the chance to watch the disc today, and to make it even sweeter, I found out I'm seeing her live again this weekend.

The disc is fantastic. I can see it becoming a habit with me.

First, it's a solid performance. She has her own jazz people with her, but they're additionally backed by the European Symphonic Orchestra. The performance is more of what she's been doing recently (*big* romantic arrangements) but I can't see any fans from the early days being disappointed, as she gets the opportunity to tear up the piano as well, and her singing is wonderful throughout. I'm especially in love with her read on "Under My Skin," and I'm so happy to have her doing Joni Mitchell's "A Case of You."

Second, the concert is a pleasure to watch. Let me give you an example of the high production values and the care that went into this - when the harpist plucks the strings, the camera is not only there to capture the fingers on the instrument in close-up, but it is ready to move with the fingers as they move, all in a shot that lasts about two seconds. There are so many great visual moments like this.

If you like her there's no reason in the world I can think of not to get this.

5. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

6. Marc Colella

Thanks for the info Patrick.

From what you've described and the fact that Future Shop has it for $19.99 CAD gaurrantees this DVD a place in my collection.

7. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

8. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Are there two versions of this DVD? One 4x3 and another 16x9, and one in DD, the other in DTS? I ask because DVD Planet, where I'll be getting my copy from, describe it as "16x9: No." Heres what they list as the DVDs audio and video features:
    16x9: No
    Full Screen: Full Frame
    Color: Color
    Audio Format: 5.1 Dolby Digital
    English Dubbed:
    DTS: n/a
    THX Certified: n/a
    Thanks

9. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I'll be buying this too. Not only is she very nice to look at, I also like her reading of "The Look of Love".

10. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

dOc's review highly recommends it.

11. Marc Colella

Thanks for the link Jeff.

The transfer seems adequate, but more importanty - the sound seems like it does the concert justice.

I was pleased and surprised to hear that the 2 music videos are presented in 1.77:1 and are anamorphic.

12. PatrickL

PatrickL Second Unit

Trust me, Marc, you're going to find it visually far better than adequate.

13. Bill Balcziak

Bill Balcziak Supporting Actor

What a stunning disc! I watched this tonight with my normally restless five-year-old and she was entranced the whole way through. The effort put into filming this is incredible--I've never seen a live concert recording that was as well considered and executed as this. The director and crew should get as much credit as Ms. Krall and company.
    A [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] effort!

14. Dennis Oblow

Dennis Oblow Stunt Coordinator

Dennis
    I agree this is a terrific looking and sounding DVD. The camera angles were great most of the time you could see the other musicians sort of looking over her shoulder as they were playing and smiling at her performance (especially the bass player) The DTS track was fabulous too. Highly recommended[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Richard Carnahan

Richard Carnahan Stunt Coordinator

This is a stunning DVD that manages to capture the excitement and energy of a live performance. I've already watched it twice!

16. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

This sounds too good to be true: a great performer, wonderful songs, inspired videography, and great audio to boot!?!? I'm on my way to the store!

They BETTER have one in stock!

17. Richard Travale

Richard Travale Producer

Rich Travale
    I just picked this up for $17.99 CAD but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I am looking forward to it though.

In case any of you Canadians are interested, I got it at Futureshop.

18. Nick Sirkin

Nick Sirkin Auditioning

I watched this DVD last night with my teenage daughter and we both thought it was just wonderful, sound and picture. A few comments...

Having the piano behind to the right was just weird. I have good full-range speakers in back and while it was nice and "immersive", it was certainly not like being at the event (unless you were sitting in the middle of the stage). I switched to analog (not DD 2.0) stereo and that was much better! The DTS has very good sound quality and I wish that they had mixed it a bit more naturally, say with ambience and audience in back. Maybe even some of the orchestra.

During a piano solo, I noticed that the piano was stretched across the front speakers. The high notes from the right, middle C in the center and the lower registers on the left. An eight foot wide piano and it sounded terrific!

I had read recently about the "glamorization" of Diana and also some criticism of her being marketed as in the album photo. Well, it sure looked like they responded because she was completely covered up and I thought it must have been warm in that leather jacket. I would actually have liked for her to have been playing in something more attractive. Shallow, eh?

Finally, while I enjoyed the lush orchestrations, I thought they were at their best as a small group. Boy, were they tight!

Highly recommended!

19. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I notice that CC has it on sale right now for $14.99. I just went down and picked up a copy. Haven't watched it yet.[​IMG]

20. Al_S

Al_S Second Unit

I just picked this up today and will try to watch it tonight. I have a VHS tape of her in concert which cost an arm and a leg. The DVD has to look and sound better.