What's new

Any early reviews of Cover Girl? (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Any early reviews for Cover Girl? I was interested in picking up this title on DVD to replace my laser disc copy if the transfer is a big improvement. However, since it's a Columbia/Tristar release I am not expecting much. Just wondering if anyone found any early reviews or received a early copy can make any comments about this DVD scheduled for release on 8/19.

Rob Ray

Agent
Why are you not expecting much? I've found Columbia/Tri-Star's DVDs to be major improvements over their hopelessly rotted, speckled laserdiscs. The Loves of Carmen looks spectacular on DVD. Too bad it's not half as good as Cover Girl.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I think the quality of their releases of older films are a valid concern. They didn't do too good of a job with films like Talk of the Town, Awful Truth, You Can't Take It With You, and Lawrence of Arabia to name a few. I hope I am wrong and this film has a fantastic transfer because it is one of my favorite Rita Hayworth films. I will only purchase the DVD if it is a major improvement over the LD version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It seems like both reviews contradict each other about the video presentation.

Crawdaddy

Jeffrey

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by the likes of Warner Brothers treating their catalog titles with a little bit more respect and care. At the same time, maybe I was a little hard on this one; after all Technicolor was still in relative infancy around this time. It's not a bad looking transfer, but I feel that with a little more work, it could have been as striking as Rita herself.--But don't let my misgivings keep you from purchasing it; like beauty, it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Jeffrey
digitally OBSSESSED!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks