Any early reviews of Cover Girl?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrianP, Aug 14, 2003.

1. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Any early reviews for Cover Girl? I was interested in picking up this title on DVD to replace my laser disc copy if the transfer is a big improvement. However, since it's a Columbia/Tristar release I am not expecting much. Just wondering if anyone found any early reviews or received a early copy can make any comments about this DVD scheduled for release on 8/19.

2. Rob Ray

Rob Ray Agent

Why are you not expecting much? I've found Columbia/Tri-Star's DVDs to be major improvements over their hopelessly rotted, speckled laserdiscs. The Loves of Carmen looks spectacular on DVD. Too bad it's not half as good as Cover Girl.

3. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

I think the quality of their releases of older films are a valid concern. They didn't do too good of a job with films like Talk of the Town, Awful Truth, You Can't Take It With You, and Lawrence of Arabia to name a few. I hope I am wrong and this film has a fantastic transfer because it is one of my favorite Rita Hayworth films. I will only purchase the DVD if it is a major improvement over the LD version.

4. BrianP

BrianP Supporting Actor

Anyone purchase this and have a copy to comment about?

5. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

I haven't seen it yet myself, but Digitally Obsessed has just posted a review:

Cover Girl (1944)

6. Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano Second Unit

7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It seems like both reviews contradict each other about the video presentation.

Crawdaddy

8. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Stunt Coordinator

Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by the likes of Warner Brothers treating their catalog titles with a little bit more respect and care. At the same time, maybe I was a little hard on this one; after all Technicolor was still in relative infancy around this time. It's not a bad looking transfer, but I feel that with a little more work, it could have been as striking as Rita herself.--But don't let my misgivings keep you from purchasing it; like beauty, it's all in the eye of the beholder...

Jeffrey
    digitally OBSSESSED!