What's new

Any early impressions of the new Tool and Pearl Jam CDs? (1 Viewer)

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I am enjoying Pearl Jam's new cd quite a bit. It may not be quite as good as the praise that it is getting, but it doesn't sound like they are sleepwalking through their cd like their last couple of albums IMO.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Yes! Someone else who appreciates Faith No More's most genius record.

Didn't AIC's Dirt come out in that time frame as well?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yes it did. For me personally, 1990-1992 may never be equalled musically.

And I saw the Angel Dust tour when it hit the Palladium in Hollywood. Holy frickin' crap, one of the best concerts I've ever seen.

AricB

Second Unit
90-92 had both Facelift and Dirt, and I think Sap too. Plus NIN's Broken, Ministry's A mind is... and Psalm 69. Smashing Pumkins Gish and Siamese Dream. Lots of good stuff from 90-94, my high school years.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
L. Anton Dencklau said:
To add my opinion:

The tool album is disappointing, sort of a mess with some stuff that coheres, and some that doesn't. "Jambi" is almost unlistenable. QUOTE]

I'm sorry to hear that, I think Jambi is a great listen. Love the intertwining bass line with Adam Jones riffs. Takes a couple listens, but it's astonishing!

Joe D

Supporting Actor
Yes! Someone else who appreciates Faith No More's most genius record.

Angel Dust is a great album. That album has it all.

The new tool album, hmm... still need to listen to it more. But it's more Lateralus than the masterpieces that are Undertown and Aenima.

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor

Ahh, my middle school years as well. Such good memories. I've been on quite a nostalgia trip lately listening to some of these old albums and groups. Alice in Chains is even going to tour again, I read a while back. It's a shame Staley isn't with us anymore, but it still should be pretty interesting.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Hadn't heard about AIC touring again. Is it just with Cantrell fronting or do they have someone filling in for Staley's part?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Carlo,

A new singer is what they'd want... I know they did a benefit show a while back for something and they had a different singer.. it's not the same, but I'm sure it wouldn't be bad... There was an interview with Cantrell at www.ultimate-guitar.com about AIC being back in the studio.

AricB

Second Unit
yes they have a new singer. possibly even different singers for european tour and us. i think i read the guy wasnt confirmed for both legs? jerry's solo tours were good, so i can't imagine this will be bad. i wish i could have got tix for chicago show, gone in like 2 minutes.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah I saw AIC 2x and Jerry once on his solo tour, he is very good vocally. But Layne's very distinct voice was what made AIC
unique and powerful (while still being emotional and vulnerable at the same time). It's going to be hard to digest AIC songs with anyone else filling in the Layne vocals.

Surprisign that they're playing the Roxy out here, talk about a small venue. I'm pretty much going to give up on getting tix as that place is about as big as my living room ;)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Didn't STP's Purple come out in that 90-92 era as well? Not to mention T-Ride!

Angel Dust was a masterpiece. Still is. :)

As is the new Tool. Much of it is the sort of stuff that you have to give multiple listens to appreciate, but for some reason it all clicked for me the first time I spun it.

Someone, I forget who (it might've been in an Amazon review), likened it to Dark Side of the Moon in terms of its musical concept and how the tracks interact with each other. It's not a bad analogy (although the specific style is of course very different).

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
"Yes! Someone else who appreciates Faith No More's most genius record."

I've been a FNM fan for a long time. Just recently re-bought "Angel Dust" and discovered why I loved it all those years ago. It still hold up to this day. I even remember when "The Real Thing" came out (I was listening to it long before "Epic" came out)...it blew my mind and was a staple for many years. I saw them open for Billy Idol a long time ago and left after their set ended. Good stuff!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
It's good to see lots of Faith No More fans here. "Angel Dust" has been my favorite album for nearly 15 years, and hasn't wavered one bit. I've heard nothing new or old in that time period that has even come close to challenging it. It's a masterpiece beyond masterpieces, and a true shame that it is not more widely recognized.

I also love most of Patton's side projects, especially "Fantomas"

Back to the original thread. I'm a huge Tool fan, but after an initial listen, the new album did very little for me. I've been through it about 5 times now, with many more listens to tracks 1 & 5 which clearly stand out. It is beginning to grow on me, but as of now it is definitely my least favorite of their albums. Undertow has always been my favorite with Aenima about a quarter notch behind.

As for Pearl Jam, I've never understood what all the hype was about. I bought "Ten" back in the day, listened to it once, and put it on the shelf where it is to this day. The only reason that I keep it is because I don't hate it and maybe some day I'll have some friends over that would like to listen to it. I bought Vs. also due to the hype, but gave it away to a friend shortly there after. I have completely lost track of them, but as long as they're doing the same old, same old, then count me out. I can only think of one time that I heard them and went "WOW", and that was when they appeared with Neil Young and did a kick-ass rendition of "Keep on Rocking in the Free World"

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
One more tidbit regarding AIC...

There is a Heart concert running now on VH1 (Classics Live, I think). AIC comes out as a guest, and totally rips the roof off the place, doing "Would?" with Phil Anselmo, and "Rooster" with someone I don't recognize. Also, Duff from GnR and VR is on guitar.

No, neither vocalist is Layne. But both treat the vocals with respect. No one is out there jumping around with a shit-eating grin like Paul Rogers doing Queen songs. Both treat the songs with the proper amount of reverence.

I never got to see AIC, but if they do hit Albuqerque, I'm there. They were without a doubt the best of the so-called Grundge bands, and are hugely underrated, IMHO.

OK...back to the PJ and Tool discussion!

brian

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Well, Queen songs *should* be performed with a shit-eating grin! :D AIC is another story.

I actually saw AIC get booed off the stage once. They were good, but I guess that's what they get for opening for Megadeth, Slayer and Anthrax!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Would be remiss not to update this thread with another couple of great 1990-1991 records:

The Red Hot Chili Peppers' Blood Sugar Sex Magik
Jane's Addiction's Ritual de lo Habitual

Since songs from both just came up on my iPod I felt
compelled to add :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks