Any early impressions of the new Tool and Pearl Jam CDs?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ron Reda, May 2, 2006.

1. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I tried to pick up copies of both this morning, but in typcial Wal-Mart fashion, they aren't out on the shelves yet. All Music Guide gave them 4 and 4.5 stars respectively.

2. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I had a preview of TOOL's album last week, and picked up the CD at Best Buy this morning. Very cool packaging. It was a brisk seller (same story with Pearl Jam's release).

Some other forum members have chimed in with their impressions in this thread. If you enjoyed their previous effort and are familiar with APC's work, I think 10,000 Days will find a place in your music library.

As for Pearl Jam, no comment (as I haven't listened to any material since their early days in Seattle [​IMG] )

3. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I know that it's only 30 second clips, but the new PJ is on iTunes. I'm listening to the previews right now...

4. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I have both but haven't had a chance to listen yet.

I thought one of the original guitarists had left PJ, but I see it's all the original guys except the drummer from the Ten/Vs. days. Plus they've got Matt Cameron (ex-Soundgarden) on drums who's an awesome player. Looking forward to hearing it.

And true to form for Tool, the first batch has a pretty unique packaging.

5. Carlo Medina

Funny thing about Matt is that for the longest time he was a "guest" and not PJ's official drummer. This despite the fact that he'd toured with them, recorded with them, and basically lasted 5X longer than any previous drummer (it was Spinal-Tap like the way they went through drummers). Matt joined up not long after Soundgarden broke up (still mourn that day).

Wonder if he's officially part of the band now? Care to look in the liner notes and share with us, Andrew?

6. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I haven't followed PJ in quite some time so I didn't know about his prior involvement.

The new CD's liner definitely makes it seem like he's part of the band. The inside of the booklet just has the five names and what each person does: Stone, Mike, Jeff, Eddie and Matt. No mention of him being a guest on that page.

Plus in the additional musicians listing, it just mentions a couple other guys on piano and other stuff. No mention of Matt or drums there.

I actually picked it up for my fiancee but I'm now looking forward to hearing it myself.

Though, both Tool and PJ were bumped to listen to my most anticipated release of the day, Ministry's Rio Grande Blood. Absolutely killer so far. [​IMG]

7. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

I wasn't aware that Ministry released a new album. I'll have to check that out.

8. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Cameron's listed right along with the other guys in the liner notes of both Binaural and Riot Act, too.

9. Carlo Medina

Coincidentally, the last two PJ albums that I took a pass on [​IMG]

Good news, at least, that Matt's official.

I'm enjoying the quieter songs of the new album. Some of their harder songs have that catchiness or hook that I liked from earlier PJ albums, some are just forgettable (the main reason I took a pass on the more recent PJ albums). Overall I don't regret buying this for $9.99 at BB.

10. AricB

AricB Second Unit

Andrew, does the album "beat you over the head" with the political(anti-bush) message? I dont mind a message, but the Mole wore tiresome very quickly for me for that reason. I'm hoping this is less in your face about it, ive read some positive reviews about it.

11. Kyle McCabe

Kyle McCabe Stunt Coordinator

I can't say I've purchased a Pearl Jam album in the last decade or so, but TOOL never ceases to blow my mind. Speaking as a musician, they get better and better with each album. With most bands, I don't know if I could handle every song on the CD being over 7 minutes, but TOOL is just a completely different story.

Their musicianship is beyond great. There isn't a mainstream band in the entire rock industry that expresses that kind of talent.

12. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Couldn't have said it better myself. It's frightening how good they are.

13. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

aric:

rio grande blood is definitely anti-bush. it's about on par with houses of the mole. however, since i agree with the sentiment, i don't mind it. i think this is one of ministry's best albums since filth pig. i can't wait to see them live at the house of blues monday!!! it's gonna be F*&$ING awesome.

the tool album is pretty good too, but i haven't been able to totally get into it. i love the first two songs. i've only passively listened to the rest of the tool album.

kevin t

14. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Screenwriter

Just picked up 10,000 days right now, heard the first 2 songs on the way home and liked it, pretty excited about really listening to the whole thing.

15. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

"TOOL never ceases to blow my mind. Speaking as a musician, they get better and better with each album. With most bands, I don't know if I could handle every song on the CD being over 7 minutes, but TOOL is just a completely different story. Their musicianship is beyond great. There isn't a mainstream band in the entire rock industry that expresses that kind of talent."

Like someone else said, VERY well said. I play guitar and Adam Jones blows my mind. Not only him, but the rhythm section is ridiculous. I'm big on drummers and theirs is top notch...has been from day one. I've only gotten a chance to listen to the first song, but if it's any impression of the rest of the album, it's gonna be another classic.

As far as Pearl Jam goes, I've been a huge fan of their first 2 CDs for quite some time, but around the time of Vitalogy, they lost me for some reason. I lost track of them for a while, but I recently reinvested some time into listening to their last couple of CDs as a buddy of mine is a HUGE fan. Since I've done that, I've gotten back into them, especially the Yield CD. Anyway, that brings me to this CD. I like the fact that it's upbeat and rocks pretty hard. I need to check it out a few more times, but I do remember thinking, "it took 4 years to make this album?" I'm probably being overly critical, so I need to spend some more time with it. I do recall enjoying the second half of the disc a bit more than the first half though...

16. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Tool is, by far, my favorite band, so in my very biased opinion, I think 10,000 Days is great. I've had it for almost two weeks so there's been ample time to digest it. Tool, especially with Lateralus and 10,000 Days, isn't one of those bands that you can just pop in one of their CDs and listen once. You have to give it a few spins to really appreciate it. I haven't grabbed PJ yet but will most likely. Like Ron, I was a huge fan of Ten and Vs. but got lost in the whole Neil Young thing.

17. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

Aric, I would agree with Kevin's assessment.

I'm really digging the contributions Tommy Victor (ex-Prong) made. His guitar style is instantly recognizable.

Regarding Tool, I've heard it once, and it didn't make too big of an impression. Pretty much the same thing as Lateralus. Now I know these are the type of records that really need multiple listenings to shine, so I hope after a few more listens more stuff will stick with me. But I still favor Undertow and Aenima.

18. L. Anton Dencklau

L. Anton Dencklau Second Unit

19. Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski Stunt Coordinator

I've been a T00L fan for 12 years or so and this one is a masterpiece.
    Just an incredible album.

Granted many don't get it but for me it's their best so far.

How exciting for your favorite band to put out such work. And the with depth of that work, it takes lots of enjoying listens to peel back and enjoy all the layers of this album.

Add the innovative packaging by a reknown artist...

How cheap a purchase for consumers like us to get such product.

the lyrics
    the art
    the introspect
    the musicianship
    the studio laboring
    the production
    the incredible music

and to top it all off almost nothing is compromised for the for the sake of the music execs / industry.

This album also makes my subs really punch and sound great!

20. Carlo Medina

Amen brother. Between 1990-1992 (my senior year in HS to sophomore in college) we were inundated with 2 great Pearl Jam albums, Badmotorfinger, Angel Dust, Nevermind, and a whole host of great music.