Any DVDs with DTS speaker callibration test?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric F, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Are there any DVDs that actually have a DTS speaker placement test on it (commercial ones, like movies)? I have Avia already. All the ones I've found have been DD only.
    I was lucky enough to find some DTS .wav files here:
    http://www.sr.se/multikanal/english/e_index.htm
    one of which was a speaker placement test complete with LFE.
    If you're lucky enough to have a soundcard that passes through an unmolested bitstream (I use Winamp+Asio driver on my Waveterminal 192L) or you can burn them to an audio CD to play them. Some of the soundfiles on there are really cool. Even better if you speak Sweedish(which I don't). One or two in English.
    After burning a CDRW to find out that WinDVD4+ does not do multi-channel bass management (wouldn't decode a dts .wav right)for DTS CD audio, I can only assume it doesn't handle LFE for DTS DVDs as well. I would like to check that for sure.
    On the otherhand my Onkyo TX-DS595 does some amazing stuff with the DTS LFE channel (SPDIF out) . Surprised me at how well it works (I was never sure it did anything with the bass). Of course this makes the point of purchasing a soundcard with high quality DACs moot. PowerDVD doesn't appear to decode DTS LFE or any other multi-channel DTS DVD software. Lame.
    I live in an apt. so a sub is a definate no-no.

2. warrick

warrick Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    Try this
    Regards
    Warrick

3. derek

derek Second Unit

I have the Ultimate disc and yes it does have the test tones for DTS (5.1 only no DTS-ES tones.) Most processors use balance settings for both DD/DTS playback. Do any have separate balancing options?

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

Derek, my receiver does balancing for both, but I wanted to check and see exactly what my receiver and my PC are doing with DTS LFE without a sub.

I know alot of the earlier receivers did not do anything with DTS LFE with no sub, and I suspect all of the software decoders do nothing, even with the "Send LFE to fronts" box checked. I am pleasantly surprised that my Onkyo handles DTS LFE so well, but a little annoyed the software DVD programs do nothing, and make no mention of this in the documentation. A severe oversight, especially when some of the software (ie: WinDVD4+) costs as much as a standalone DVD player.

5. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    Sound and Vision Guide to Home Theater has DTS 6.1 signals.

Although after using it my settings didn't alter one bit after using the DD on Avia.