What's new

Any DVD-related questions for John Carpenter? Let me know... (1 Viewer)

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I'll defer to the moderators as to how this thread is treated or placed, but I just wanted to mention in this forum that a friend of mine here in Melbourne is interviewing John Carpenter shortly (possibly in the next few days) and, knowing my status as a longterm Carpenter fan, he asked me if there were any questions I would like asked. Since the folks here at HTF are such a brilliant lot, I thought I'd extend the invitation to everyone here. If anyone has any DVD related questions they would like asked, please post them here ASAP. I'm willing to write them down and give them to my friend - if Carpenter is able to answer them, I'll post the responses here.

I've requested DVD-based questions as they seem most appropriate for this Software forum. The interview is likely to be a phone interview, so concise questions would be appropriate. If the moderators are unhappy with this thread, I'll just ask whatever questions I can think of myself and post any DVD-related tidbits here. Not trying to cause any trouble, but I just thought some folks here might want to take this opportunity since it's come up.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Two things:

1) John onced mentioned he might possibly be interested in a director's cut dvd of Escape From L.A. since he was rushed when making it. Maybe your friend can ask if he still has any interest.

2) When "The Thing" dvd was in production he said in interviews that it would include an alternate ending in which MacReady is shown to have survived, and passes a blood test.
If this is on the dvd I can't find it. Maybe ask him why this didn't make it.

That's all I can think of. Thanks.

Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Supporting Actor
Of course the question you don't need to be told, is specifics for upcoming DVD SE rereleases and upcoming movie projects.

I would like to know if he intends to make more movies with Kurt Russell though? Seems some of the best he did was sith him.

Also I have heard rumours long ago about a sequel for Big trouble in little China, and Carpenter reportedly did express some interest, but it did not happen because the first movie bombed. Has the sales of the BTILC DVD changed this?

GregoryP

Supporting Actor
I'm curious about his involvement with the upcoming DVD releases of The Fog, Escape from NY: SE, and They Live.

Gregory

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Wow, cool. I have two things that i've always wanted to ask him...
1. I've always wanted a commentary from him on 'Halloween', will their possibly be one in the future?
2. Will he ever do a SE of 'Christine' on dvd?
3. As a bonus question, ask him how he feels about the status of OAR possibly being in danger on dvd. I know he only shoots his films anamorphically, and I thik that he's probably not happy with this pan n scan trend that's starting to pop up, but it would be nice to hear his thoughts on the matter.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
I basically concur with any questions everyone has asked alreay. I had the honor of meeting him at a Big Trouble DVD event. I did ask him and he is working on the Fog and Escapre from NY SEs. One thing I forgot to ask though is: Where the hell is Memoirs of an Invisible Man?

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Yea, ask him if he and Chevy Chase will sit down together and do a commentary for Memoirs of an Invisible Man. That would be an awesome DVD. I'll pay thirty bucks for that!

Also, if he knows if Columbia/Tristar is going to release the Starman SE in r1.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I'd like to know if, as a director, he finds the DVD format compliments or competes with how he wants his films enjoyed. And does he use the format himself.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to know what's going to be on the They Live SE, as well. Also, will it use the same (quite good) transfer that's on the current disc?

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
Criterion generally do not license supplements they've created. Since Criterion were not able to put out a DVD of Halloween, the commentary track they created for their LaserDisc will probably not show up on DVD any time soon.

Dave Barth

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to know if there is any chance that Mr. Carpenter will sit down and record a commentary with Roddy Piper for a They Live DVD special edition.

Esten

Supporting Actor
I would like to know if there is any chance that Mr. Carpenter will sit down and record a commentary with Roddy Piper for a They Live DVD special edition.
I heard a few months back that one was recorded.I believe on Piper's site,if i'm not mistaken.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I would like to know if there will be a new release of Prince Of Darkness. Maybe even a special edition? That's one of my favorite John Carpenter films.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I was going to post the same request as the above poster. Prince of Darkness is my favorite Carpenter film (tied with The Thing), and I would love to know if a special edition is in the works. I really hope one is!

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Ditto on Prince of Darkness...

Also ask him why escape From LA turned out so poorly (storywise, it was a complete rehash of the first film and FX-wise it was horrid)

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I would like to know if he is going to retire (as he has mentioned in recent times) after Ghosts of Mars?
Also ask if he & Jeff Bridges could somehow persuade Columbia/Sony to release the Starman SE (with the commentary that was recorded over a year ago) that the UK will apparently get, U.S. sales of the barebones Starman be damned, I'll buy this again in an SE !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks