ANY DVD Players w/ built in receiver (DTS decoding & Amp section)?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Kao, Mar 13, 2002.

1. Mike Kao

Mike Kao Second Unit

I'm looking for a convenient all-in-one unit solution to bring to college. Anyone know of any (brand/model)?

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

Sony has some , Aiwa has some , and I'm sure others do also but as a servicer I wouldn't touch one. Heat ,dust and vibration will dramatically shorten the life of optic-based systems and heat and dust will be high in a combo. Almost any sort of failure will cost more to fix than the replacement cost of a separate unit. In other words , an amp failure could easily cost $100 to fix (for a 20 watt amp) and the DVD won't work until the amp is repaired. A DVD failure could run $150-$200 to fix but a lot of combos don't have aux inputs to sub an external unit.

My son added a DVD-rom, decoder card and high-end audio card to his PC and uses it for all his entertainment needs. Some colleges even require a networked computer as an admission requirement. Even if not required most tech-savy instructors use electronic communication for assignments, cancellations, papers, class scheduling , enrolement , etc. I can't imagine too many fields of study that won't require a high end PC to complete.

3. Robert Franklin

Robert Franklin Stunt Coordinator

You may want to try to see if you can get the Onkyo DR-90. There are others, but this is the one that I can remember. Also, look in Radio Shack. Believe it or not, Pioneer makes some of the products that RS sells. They may be able to help you.