What's new

Any DVD Movies with Classical Music? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I can't get enough of the classical score on the bmwfilms.com DVD (the short directed by Ang Lee) and the Diva song in the 5th Element SB. I guess I just seem to like the way my system handles the music, pretty well for a cheap HT.

Any other movies or even music DVDs that have some great classical music? Only one I can think off the top of my head is Amadeus. Thanks..

Scott

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
There are also a number of video DVD's that feature concerts of classical music. Just ask about them at your local video store.

Another movie that features classical music, of a sort -- operetta -- is Topsy Turvy, the film about Gilbert and Sullivan.

There's also Mahler, the Ken Russell bio of Mahler.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Before you buy Amadeus be aware that Warner is supposedly working on a two-disc special edition DVD for release later this year.

Thane

Stunt Coordinator
I highly recommend Farinelli, a film from 1994 that features the music of Handel & other Baroque composers. The movie is based on the life of a castrati singer, and is filled with wonderful arias, if you have a taste for the countertenor voice. Another is Impromptu, just released to DVD today. Features piano music by Chopin and Liszt.

"Breaking Away" all classical score

"Bad News Bears" the Opera Carmen was used as the score.

"Amadeus" Mozart = DUH

"10" Ravel's Bolero famous sex scene.

Jodee

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed Diva, which is an Anchor Bay DVD. I've never cared for opera in the past but the music in this was excellent.
I also recommend Immortal Beloved.

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I have no idea how the movie can be seen now, if it's coming to home video or if it's getting any kind of American release, but Canone Inverso has a beautiful new score for violin by Ennio Morricone that I can't recommend enough. It centers on the violin, but also has cello, percussion and others. You can get the cd domestically, but again, I have no idea when we'll ever be able to watch the film.

Mark Lee

Second Unit
22 Short Films About Glenn Gould
The other 10 Films about Glenn Gould have some music in them as well, I believe....;) (just screwin' wit' ya, Mike!)
The symphonies of Gustav Mahler make an appearance in the soundtrack to Juzo Itami's Tampopo, a great "ramen western," though the Fox Lorber (grrrr....) DVD release leaves much to be desired.

Rand

Supporting Actor
One of my favorites is Excalibur, most of the music is either Wagner or Orff.

Also The Right Stuff has a lot of good classical in it.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Ingmar Bergman's The Magic Flute -- a marevlous version of Mozart's opera, available on DVD from Criterion.
Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks