Any DVD chance of Probe, The Phoenix, Johnnny Bago, The Charmings, Rags to Riches?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Tory, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory
    That's a handful of shows I watched and loved over and over again until my VCR ate the recordings.

The Phoenix, from 82 I believe when I was 4 was a favorite and all the rage among older people. I am shocked it was canceled so young.

Probe was later in the 80's and featured Parker Stevenson in an Issac Asimov written series. I would think it has mass appeal and again all I hear from people is why the heck was it canceled.

Johnny Bago from the early 90's was a comic take on the fugitive. Framed for a murder he did not commit Johnny takes off in his Winnebago fleeing from the cop pursuing him, his ex-wife. I thought this was popular but it was axed for no good reason. It was well reviewed as I remember.

The Charmings I remember paired with Sledge Hammer although it was a different type of series. Snow White Prince Charming, their two kids, a Dwarf and the wicked Step Mother and her Mirror played by the late great Paul Winfield are sent to modern 80's times and must adjust to family sitcom life.

Rags to Riches, set in the '60's a rich man adopts a handful of teenage girls including Tisha Campbell(Martin, My Wife & Kids) that sing modified versions of vintage music in a dramatic setting. Everyone who remembers this show that I have come in contact with remembers it fondly and most alive at the time know it well.

Is there any news or chance that these great series will see a DVD release? I know they were short lived but from what I remember and from what I gather from people I talk to here and there they were wildly popular and any cause of cancellation was a mistake on the part of the network. Who owns the rights to them?

2. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp

Russell
    I'd grab Johnny Bago! I think I got about 6 episodes on Tape to one day transfer to DVD. I have no idea how long this ran, but it was a damn fine show. I'd love a complete DVD release so I could trash all these damn tapes.

3. Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino Supporting Actor

I wouldn't be shocked if Rags to Riches saw a release. While the show was never a huge ratings success, it did have a lot of young fans. I recall liking it a lot. The most substantial problem would be music rights, though seeing as how the cast sang almost all of the songs themselves, perhaps it wouldn't be such an expense. Anyone with knowledge of music rights know about this area?

I'm not sure there's much hope on the other shows, though I've seen a surprisingly high amount of mentions of Probe and The Charmings over the years given their short runs.

4. Wade K

Wade K Second Unit

I always thought of "Probe" as a MacGyver-ish show too early for its time. I bet if it had ran just a few years later, it might have lasted a bit longer.

Add me as wanting Probe.

5. Angela_K

Angela_K Stunt Coordinator

Angela
    I loved Rags to Riches growing up, would love to see it on DVD [​IMG]

6. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

"Probe" was also a victim by the writer's strike that happened about the same time.

Pretty solid show with some brains behind it.

Jason