What's new

Any DLS (parts express) owners out there? (1 Viewer)

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Meaux,

I built the 10" Titanic sub (along with the PE Vance Dickason Home Theater Speaker package). Overall, I'm pleased with it, however, I made the mistake of selecting a 10" sub, when I should have selected something larger. The result is that it tends to bottom out if you drive it too hard. Several folks on this forum have suggested a couple of modifications:

1. Use polyfill as well as the egg crate foam supplied
with the kit.
2. Remove the 30 Hz boost on the plate amp.
3. Add an additional cabinet brace (like a 1" dowel).

I'm planning to make these modifications as soon as I have my 12 inch sub built (I can't run without any sub!). I'll let you know how it works out if you're interested.

Rich

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rich,

Keep in mind that numbers 1 and 3 have nothing to do with your driver bottoming out. But the 30Hz boost definitely does. Removing the boost will help greatly even with the 10" driver.

You're probably already aware of this, but I thought I'd point it out just in case.

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Brian,

You are, of course correct. I should have made it a little clearer. I just kind of lumped all of the modifications together without any explanation. I'm hoping to make the modifications in the next few weeks, after I finish my 12 inch.
I'll let you know how it works out. Thanks.

Rich

KurtJ

Stunt Coordinator
How do the surrouns sound? I want to build an HT system, but can't decide on the speakers. Well, I know the sub is going to be from Adire: Tempest or Tumult.

Rich_Ave

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kurt,

In my opinion, they sound pretty good. I certainly don't have golden ears, but I'm generally pleased with the sound. I actually have a mix for my surrounds. I have the dipoles from the PE kit on the sides, and two of the direct radiating surround speakers from the Madisound Audax HT kit for the rears. The rear speakers use the same Audax Aerogel midbass as the front and side surrounds(except it's a little larger), and the same Audax tweeter as the side surrounds, so it seems to work pretty well for me. One of these days, I may replace the center channel speaker from the PE kit with the center channel speaker from the Audax HT kit. I understand that the dispersion is better with the Madisound center channel than with the PE center channel, if you mount the center horizontally. The Madisound center channel uses 2 midbass drivers, one midrange, and a tweeter, in a modified MTM configuration, which I believe changes the dispersion pattern when mounted horizontally. I'm kind of a newbie in the speaker building area, so please take my comments with a grain of salt. - Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks