Any DIY's that sound like B&W 805's ??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Cain, Jun 23, 2001.

1. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Any suggestions????
    -- John
    ------------------

2. John_Pech

John_Pech Extra

Don't know of any that are exact to the 805, but Focal aka. JmLabs speakers, makes some nice kits using polykevlar. One kit that may be similar is their B400 kit.
    I don't think the kit is available anymore, but you can order the drivers that are updated from the original design, separately, and build the crossover and cabinet from the original plans.
    I own 3 pairs of the kits and, in my opinion, the B400's are similar in sound characteristics to the 805. (we are a B&W dealer)
    Although, I like the B400's over the 805's. The B400's, IMHO, are a touch more dynamic and more open in the tweeter region, because the tweeter has an inverted Tioxide cone as oposed to aluminium, it doesn't have the unwanted characteristics of aluminium.
    And not many tweeters come close to the Focals in reproducing the sound of breaking glass.
    [​IMG]

3. John Cain

John Cain Second Unit

Thank you for the reply and info John.
    Where can I get more info about these speakers??
    -- John
    ------------------

4. John_Pech

John_Pech Extra

You can find information about these by doing a search. When I was looking for a picture to go along with my post, I just typed: "focal B400 speaker kit", and came up with several sites that had info on them. I found that particular picture onwww.speakercity.com .
    Several places you can get the necessary parts and drivers.
    Speaker City is one, and there is Zalytron (Elliot is a great guy to deal with), Madisound, and many others.
    I don't know if they will have the kit plans for the B400 or not, as it is a discontinued kit. There is a kit that replaces the B400, called the 7KT. I am NOT familiar with this kit, I have not heard it, and therefore, cannot comment on its performance. I do know the kit uses the bigger tweeter, and the newer version woofer, and a redesigned crossover.
    I can vouch for the B400 as I own them and love the way they extract every detail from the music that is played through them. Not saying the 7KT won't do well to mimic the B400s, just that I haven't had the opportunity to evaluate their performance, and a new design doesn't always guarantee a better performing kit. (Although I couldn't see why)
    If you are planning on building the B400's and cannot find the plans for the kit, let me know, as I have them and can send them along.
    Best of luck with your new project, should you decide to embark on the journey,
    JJP
    ------------------
    I got two turntables and a microphone