What's new

Any DIY inwall equipment rack ideas? (1 Viewer)

Marty D.

Agent
I am going to locate my equipment in the wall with rear access to the back via the garage. Any suggestions on design. Obviously I want to protect the gear but I am concerned about insulating the box and keeping my equipment from overheating.

So far I was considering building a 5'x 2'x2' (HWD) box. I was going to used MDF to construct the interior allowing for an adjustable shelving of some sort. I would run an outlet to the rear inside corner. As for the door I was thinking of tinted glass. Tinted enough that my remotes would work but no bothered by the lights.

Bill_Weinreich

Second Unit
Providing its protected from the elements, venting with a fan would be suggested. I would install a vent near the bottom front (under the door), allow venting through the bottom shelf. Use low noise fans at the top rear exiting into the garage. Be sure to allow an area at the front vent to install some type of filter (Dust can play havok!)

You may also have to cut slots in the shelving if they dont allow for adequite airflow.

As far as insulation, You can probably get away with nailing styrofoam insulation panels to the outside.

Hope this helps.

Bill

kevin_u

Agent
Marty,
I'm guessing your going to paint the cabinet. If so, I would suggest building it out of MDO, medium density overlay. MDO is plywood with a resin paper adhered to each side. Takes paint nicely. About $45 a sheet.
ALOT less dust then MDF. MDO is commonly used for road signs.
I built a cabinet like you are going to build. My cabinet is 24" deep. I made the the shelves only 20" deep, the depth of the deepest component. This allows space in the back for wires/cables and air circulation.
Have fun,
Kevin

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
I cut a 19 1/8" space in my coat closet and installed rails for a Middle Atlantic rack system. It is very useful because it accommodates my wholehouse audio system as well as my front projector system. I used it to have homeruns to most rooms in the house...where I have access to my basement and attic. I have a black mica frame around it for a smooth finish. There is relatively easy access to the back of the equipment from the closet door on equipment's right. It has recently become more difficult since I put a 130 lb. amp on the floor of the closet. Pic is here and in my HT site in sig.
ded-%20equip.jpg

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
Here is what I did:
Link Removed
Access is through the back which completely slides out of the way.
It looks great, even if I do say so myself. :b
Tom

Brandon B

Second Unit
You might think about drawing air from the garage as well as dumping it back out there (unless you live in death valley). That way you are not robbing your house of heat or cool air depending on the season, as well as isolating any fan noise better. As Bill says though, definitely put some kind of filter on the system. Home Depot sells 4 packs of polyfoam airfilters for sticking behind air registers for a couple of bucks.

Make sure whatever you make the door out of transmits the IR from your remotes well.

BB

Marty D.

Agent
Yes, I think I will try to get some sort of ventilation in the plan while I am at it. On thing I did stumble across today at Lowes was a subfloor vent that opens when the temperature is 70F and closes at 38F. Granted this does not circulate air but it does permit heat to escape. I thought it was pretty interesting. Anyone think this would have any value if I were to install this in the rear of the equipment rack. Also, I was think of just going ahead and building a closet in the garage. As much as I hate to give up tool space it may be the most straightforward approach. I then would use an exterior door and possibly mount a vent on the top above the door.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks