What's new

Any DIY ideas for having a beautiful lawn? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I am a new home owner and I hate the mix of crab grass and other unwanted growth in my front yard. I really like the look of fescue grass. Do I just go to the store and buy some fescue grass seeds and fertilizer and broadcast it throughout the yard, or is it more involved than that? Can anyone give me some help on how to have a beautiful front lawn w/o paying for a professional lawn service?

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Mid-Feb is just about past the deadline, but I suggest you talk with your lawn seed professional (that is, the nursery) about the need for (weed) pre-emergent. If already weedy, well, get some Round-Up.

The more junk you suppress at the outset, the better off the fescue.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Watch out. Most fescues are cool-weather grasses, and you're going to have a real problem with burning/browning when summer rolls around.
I'm not sure what's best for Atlanta, but I'd talk to a local nursery shop. They'll know how to help.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
With all the snow we've been getting, I'm looking forward to seeing my lawn, even if it is covered with crabgrass, clover and all sorts of other weeds.

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I've tried the spring pre-emergent fertilizers, hasn't worked too well for me especially when the snow lasts in North Dakota sometimes into March/April.

What I did have success with (Very tedious work) is to pull out the area of crabgrass. I then placed some fresh soil, mixed in grass seed, water and it turned out fine. A bit greener then the rest of the lawn, but a lot better looking and feeling (especially on the feet:D).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks