Any DIY Flexy Plans Available for TVs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JayDaniel, Aug 27, 2002.

1. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Hey all, I like the look of various flexy racks I've seen here and elsewhere. However, they all seem to be for audio equipment, or small tvs. I'm interested in building one for my 35" Sony and associated HT equipment. Does anyone have plans or links to a project like this?

My main concern is weight, because I think my TV is 200+ pounds.

Thanks.

JDaniel

2. Jay,

I recently built a Stiffy Racky for my TV and all my audio gear. Here is what I did:

went to home depot and had them cut a sheet of MDF into 4 20"x48" shelves with one scrap piece. Got 6 2' 5/8" threaded rods, a box of 50nuts (needed 46), and a box of washers and that was it.

I used a plunge router to put in drill holes 2" in square from the corners and 2 more in the center of the 48"'s 4" from the front and rear. I also rounded over the edges....but did not finish the MFD.

Lets supplose the nuts were 1" thick and the washers were 1/8" thick. I cut the two center rods 1 1/4" in shorter than the other 4 rods. This way TV could sit on a flush surface. While there were no nut on the top, of the top piece, there was a set with washers under it acting as a shelf for the MDF.

There is NO flex in this rack. I have about 200+lbs of gear on this rack with ZERO problems.

On

3. JayDaniel

JayDaniel Stunt Coordinator

Anthony,

Could you post a pic? Sounds like something I'm after.

JayDaniel

4. I don't have a digital camara, but will have my hands on one this friday if all goes well.

5. Bob Friend

Bob Friend Stunt Coordinator

I'm working on a TV stand made from 3/4" birch plywood and Galvinized plumbing similar to the items below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The pipe and flanges can be purchased at Home Depot. I was going to use flexy, but my wife didn't like the look.
    Still working on the plans, but I'll post a picture of the finished product.

6. Bill_Weinreich

Bill_Weinreich Second Unit

I recently built one for my equipment with 2" solid aluminum posts. I can tell you its plenty sturdy:
    [​IMG]
    Bill

7. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

8. Ashley Carr

Ashley Carr Auditioning

Here's a progress pic of my flexy (side on). The picture isn't on the best angle, but the big piece is 1200x600mm. At the moment it's supported by 6 18mm rods, and I can put pretty much all my weight (~75kg) on the front middle of that piece with hardly any flex.
    There's going to be another 2 rods connected to that piece, you can sort of see the holes for them.
    Originally I was concerned about weight as well, but even without the 2 extra rods, I think it would hold my TV (85kg, ~ 200lb?).
    You can sort of see the equipment shelves towards the back of the photo (only 2 shelves are visible, there's going to be 4 visible when finished).
    [​IMG]