What's new

Any differences between two "Judgment Night" DVDs? (1 Viewer)

I have the Goodtimes version of Judgment Night, the underrated Emilio Estevez/Cuba Gooding Jr/Denis Leary movie. It's the one that comes in a snapper case. Are there any differences between that version and the re-release by Universal? Is there a better transfer on the latter version or anything like that?

Thanks.

BrandonJF

Second Unit
The Goodtimes version is anamorphic, too.

I can't confirm, but I could have sworn that I read somewhere that the Universal one was the correct aspect ratio. The Goodtimes version is 1.78:1.

I have the Goodtimes version and have always been close to picking up the Universal one...

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
The newer Universal version has a DD 5.1 soundtrack while the Goodtimes version has a DD 2.0 track.

Can anyone confirm that the Universal version's aspect ratio is 2.35:1? The Goodtimes version is indeed 1.78:1 (which is definitely incorrect, according to imdb.com).

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
I have the Universal disc. It is indeed presented in its OAR of 2.35:1 and 16:9 enhanced. You know, it's strange. Goodtimes rarely put out 16x9 transfers, but one of the rare times they did (Judgment Night) they got the aspect ratio wrong; incorrectly matted to 1.78:1.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
The Universal disc also contains a DTS 5.1, yes DTS, track, as well as the theatrical trailer. Of course, the "deal-sealer" is correcting the faulty aspect ratio of the Goodtimes disc. Definitely a double dip worth taking...

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
One of my favorite cat and mouse thrillers.The Universal release is definatley the better of the two releases, for the simple fact that the OAR is correct and contains a DTS track, which really brings out Alan Silvestri's wonderfully pounding lost-in-the-urban-jungle score.

His best score next to Predator IMO.

I don't care for the cover art though, it looks like a poor photo-shop job to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks