Any difference using speaker plugs?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Pesiba, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

Merry Christmas!

How much difference is there between using speaker plugs and not using one? This may be psychological but I seem to notice a difference in the sound quality from the JBL N-Center II speakers after using RCA speaker plugs. Gun shots in movies sound so real and the voices more smoother and life-like. I didn't use speaker plugs until recent because I wasn't sure about keeping the center speaker.

Any thoughts? Also, besides gold plated speaker plugs, is there any difference in the type of plugs used; say, an RCA speaker plugs compared to monster? Thanks in advance for your response.

2. JamesCB

JamesCB Second Unit

Speaker plugs? Please explain what these are.

3. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

The banana plugs or connectors to loudspeakers and amp/receiver...hope this helps to clarify my questions.
    Thanks.

4. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

As opposed to bare wire?

Then, yes, it is psychological.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

The shine of the gold plateing bouncing off your eye irus influaces the accute hearing to become overly sensitive...[​IMG]

Hence, make it shiny and they will take it home! [​IMG]

If anything, it could possibly sound worse.

But in your real world use, NOPE all in your head. Sounds the same as it did before the center speaker saw gold on it's + & - terminals!

A shear convience factor and many use them in their system. A worth while purchase (bananas/spades etc), if you move or change out things allot.
    Or to make ones speaker connections oh so pretty....[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff

6. Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling Stunt Coordinator

I like 'em! But only as a convenience, not as some sound improvement/reinforcement talisman. It's real simple. Just try - TRY to get 10 ga. stranded wire to wrap securely around the speaker terminal on your receiver/amp. It's nearly impossible - even if the speaker lug has a hole drilled through it, that hole is usually only wide enough for 12 ga. wire or thinner.

Hence, banana plugs. I screw the plugs onto the bare wire, pop the plugs into the speaker terminals on the receiver, and I'm good to go!

7. Pesiba

Pesiba Extra

Interesting! A pair of monster banana plugs costs $39.99 CDN. That's a lot of money we're paying for nothing. Most of us have been led to believe that these gold plated stuff works better. Infact, the RCA banana plugs I purchased cost $7.99/pair. May be the gold plated may resist oxidation better?

Regards,

Pesiba

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

There is nothing wrong with the RCA bananas. Monsters are nice and have a patent on their compression lock bananas & spades, but won't transfer sound any better than the RCA banana when both are put together and connected properly.

Convience, looks, and large wire handeling (keeps stray wire strands under control) are the main reasons people use them. There is no sonic improvment in using any type of NON AIR TIGHT "compression connection". This type of connection, over enough time, the wire inside will eventually begin to tarnish.

Once a year or so it's a good idea to pull the bananas apart and re-strip fresh wire for your connection. Your then sure that good clean wire is making contact in the compression. The more humid the climate the faster the oxidation usually.

Not implying that the Monster "compression bananas" are not a higher quaility product than other lesser priced brands. There are some hard core Monster fans..
    Just that for the job compression bananas/spades do, RCA, AR, NGX, PE and the like, work just as well and are much cheaper. The Monsters do have the O-ring seal, spinning center hub, and teathed locking system. Very nice product, but way over priced!

Ones not missing a thing by not using Monster, you just save a ton of money on connectors for 5 to as many as 7 speaks! If you do the receiver also well that could be a many as 14 pairs.

Ouch!!!! [​IMG]

The gold plate dose help with oxidation on the banana itself, but the wire inside is where the oxidation will eventually occure.

Cheers
    Geoff