What's new

Any difference in video quality between the DD and DTS version of "12 Monkeys"? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Maybe a moderator can change that to "12 Monkeys" - it's almost 2 a.m. and I am tired. :)
Anyway, I'm looking at picking it up now that the price has been reduced. Have you noticed a picture quality difference between the two versions?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
13 Monkeys... :)
That's my laugh for the day!
I'm prolly gonna pick up the DTS one as I hear it kicks major ass...although, I have no first hand experience with either.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Don't know about the video quality, but I would highly recommend the DD version. It has a great, in-depth making of documentary not found on the DTS disc. This is not the normal EPK material found on most discs.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Really...then hell, if that's the case I'll just get the DD version.

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
Apparently, the DTS is better because it has more monkeys.
Actually, on the DTS version the monkeys are clearner, less harsh, a little more transparent, produce less noise, and have more extended lower ends than other comparable monkeys. :D
I'd reccoment my AC-3 LD box for the best presentation of this film: but that's because it's signed by the director.;)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The DTS version is on one of thee few DTS discs I would not reccomend. There is no major difference between it and the DD version, not to mention the DD version is a Special edition with a killer documentary and commentary.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
One thing I noticed (DD version, don't have the DTS) is how bad the video quality is on much of this disc. Compression artifacts and grain were so bad in some scenes (like in the asylm) that I thought I was watching that old Warner THX-Twister DVD!!!

-dave

Chris M

Second Unit
Well, I picked up 12 Monkeys:DD for $19.99 (CDN), I could have gotten the DTS version for $17.50, but decided that since the sound isn't impressive enough to warrant losing the documentary, I'll avoid it. I hope it looks and sounds as good as I hear. I hope David's experience is isolated :)
Chris.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks