Any Difference Between Rotel RB-1080 and RB-991?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JustinP, Mar 16, 2003.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

I'm contemplating purchasing a used 2ch amp at the moment to go with Studio 60's and a 3802. The RB-1080 seems to fit the bill, but then I saw the now discontinued RB-991 for hundreds less in the used market. Is there any difference (paper, audible, anything) between these two amps, and is one worth getting over the other?

2. JustinP

Bump. I know it's a boring question, but somebody's got to know the answer. Rotel sent me a reply that stated "differences in circuitry" but no specifics. Any response would be appreciated.

3. Ricky T

Ricky T Supporting Actor

I wouldn't worry about it. Get the 991 for hundreds less.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

They are essentially the same amps, with some minor cosmetic changes. I would get the 991 and not worry about a thing. There is nothing to change in an amp over years, either designwise or parts wise. Amp technology has remained unchanged over decades and in fact sometimes older amps sound better than the supposedly newer designed upgraded amps. So go for the 991.

Best of luck.

5. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

The only thing that swayed me from not getting the 991 over the 1080 is that the 1080 has triggers. I have an 985mkII amp and it's no fun having to push the button everytime I want to listen to my system. Yes, I'm aware of some work arounds but I'm short on plugs to do it properly.

I was lucky and snagged a 1080 for $600 used recently so it wasn't that much of a $$$ difference for me.

If triggers aren't important to you, then I would get the 991. They're readily available at $500 or less from my latest research.

Bob

6. JustinP

Thanks for all the response! I appreciate it.