What's new

Any decent floor standing speakers in my budget? or should I buy cheap and save? (1 Viewer)

Joey Link

Auditioning
After searching and reading for two hours, I feel confident posting this. I hope you guys will agree

I just purchased an Onkyo SR606 receiver on eBay for $399 with $100 cash back (so $299 total). I'm pretty damn poor, and it was a total impulse buy, but I setup a home theater PC and I can't stand listening to music through the cheap TV speakers. The girlfriend is pissed that I didn't get a larger TV first (currently a 27" Olevia 1080i LCD), but we all know the heart of an entertainment system is the receiver, right?

Anyway, I need some speakers. I have a couple options, and I'd like some input on what you guys would do if you were me. I live in an apartment with odd dimensions, so between that and the cost, I don't need surround sound right now. I'd like to buy a set of floor standing speakers, because I like the way they look, then later on add a powered subwoofer when I have the money.

Option 1: Buy cheap and save for decent speakers

Fry's has the Polk Audio R50's on sale for $59 each. I could purchase these and be into the setup for $118, then save for better speakers. The problem with this is if I buy these, the GF will no doubt say they sound fine then I won't be able to upgrade the speakers until I get a new TV (quite a while).

Option 2: Spend a bit more and get decent speakers

I've been reading around and it looks like maybe if I can afford $200-$300 I could get a pair that others (you guys) would consider 'good' speakers. I could probably swing this, but I need to know it's really going to be worth it and that I won't be needing to upgrade until I can afford a much more expensive pair. Are there any speakers in this range that are such a good value that I'd have to spend three times the amount to actually 'upgrade'? I hope you guys understand what I'm asking

Researching option 2, BIC Acoustech HT-88's caught my eye. I think I could get a set for $299+$59 shipping. The only others that seemed decent were made by Polk.

So, what do you guys think?

Joey Link

Auditioning
Another option I *may* be able to afford due to their sale are the AV123 x-ls Encore's, but that depends largely on shipping. How do these compare with the Polk's and the BIC's?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Speakers, for most people anyway, are primarily to listen to, not so much to look at. So, I wouldn't buy a type of speaker based on how they look. I doubt anything from BIC will hold a candle to the cheapest Polk. Personally, I would lean toward the basic Polk and try to also get some kind of powered sub. I think you can get an acceptable Dayton from partsexpress.com (plus the Polks) in the total price range of the BICs. In the long run, you can upgrade the Polks (to floorstanders, if you like) and move the little ones to the rear for surround.

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
I'd be checking the used market, you'll get much more bang for your buck there. Try your local Craigslist, AudioGon and other used sites. AudioGon has a search feature that allows you to search by full or partial zip codes, so you can try to find something local and avoid shipping charges.

A pair of used Vandersteen Model 2C floorstanders in good condition can sell for as little as $300 on AudioGon, depending on the specific version and age. As an added advantage, they will blow away any new speakers you could possibly find anywhere close to that price range. ;)

ilikeknives

Auditioning
Real Name
Glenn Larsen
I just bought a pair of Infinity P362's at fry's for $99 each. they are awesome. Unbelievable deal for the dollar.

CptGreedle

Grip
Real Name
David H
I am in the market for these too. I have found that the Monitor series by Polk, for just a little more than the basic one, is much better. I have not purchased on yet, waiting a little, but I hope to get something soon. But now I'll have to try out those Infinity speakers you listed...

Michael-Loki

Auditioning
Start scouring some places for used speakers. I picked up a pair of Polk Monitor 10's (series II) speakers (in very good shape) at a local goodwill store for $25.

Just be patient and get out looking and you never know what you will find. BTW - they sound great and are currently being used in a 2-channel setting in my basement rig.

Here is a pic of their current setup...

Chris Sherman

Second Unit
Audioadvisor.com is clearing out the Athena LS100 and LS300 floorstanders for $99 each LS100 and $149 ea. LS300. They are very decent speakers woven fiberglass 6.5" woofers and 1" aluminum dome tweeters. I believe shipping is free and you get the full warranty. There is a pair of matching rears and a center for cheap as well . I think they would make excellent music and theater speakers and could be kept for a few years until you are ready to upgrade. I had some B.I.C. speakers in the early ninetys that were decent, but I think the brand has gone down hill since then , Polks are good speakers, but their low end stuff is not anything special. I put the most money in my system into my speakers , then amplification , then source components. I don't skimp on a display either. If a component doesn't satisfy you, it is no bargain, no matter how great a deal you got on it.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks