Any decent 2ch. amps for ~ $800 CDN??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick V, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I am looking for a 2 channel amp to get myself as a Christmas present. The only problem is that my funds are a bit short right now, and all I could imagine spending is $800.00 Canadian.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a good amp. It will be powering Paradigm Monitor 11 v2's. Someting around 125watts (or more) would be ideal. BTW, I haven't ruled out buying used.

Could someone please point me in the right direction (or any direction at all?)

Thanks,
    Nick

2. Jed M

Jed M Cinematographer

Rotel, Parasound, Marantz and Outlaw all make good amps in that price range. If you decide to wait until the new year, the Outlaw 200 would be a good choice. I use Marantz 125wpc mono blocks on my downstairs system with a Rotel Pre that I think are really nice, but if I was doing it now I would buy the 200wpc Outlaw blocks. I'm sure that you can do much better on the used market if you look around.

3. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Thanks for the input, unfortunately 2 of those Outlaw block comes out to almost $1000 Canadian before taxes and shipping.

Is buying used the only way I can get a decent amp for around $800 CDN??

4. Mark gas

Mark gas Second Unit

5. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

Nick, check out www.canuckaudiomart.com It's like audiogon for Canadians. All in Canadian funds with no borders to ship through.

6. Mark Leitch

Mark Leitch Stunt Coordinator

Someone on audiogon is selling a Counterpoint NPS 200 for
    approx 600US... you may be able to get it for close to 800 cdn and I think it is a killer amp (I am debating buying it myself).

M.

7. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

I can get the Harman Kardon PA2000 for approx $750 CDN. Is this a good amp? I understand it will do 2x100 Watts in Bridged mode.

Also, I can get 2 Marantz 6100 monoblocks for approx $1050 CDN, but that's really stretching the budget.

Any thought, or would the best bet be to wait it out and try to find a good deal on a used amp??

8. Dereck Graefer

Im in the same boat as you Nick. I want a 2 ch amp, with only 800 CDN to spend. I have decided to buy used. Since Amp technology doesn't change at a rapid pace, I figured used would be the best bet for price/performance. For example, I have my eye on a used Adcom 555 amp. 200w x 2, and it seems to be a good amp based on reviews. Also, I can get one for about 400 USD which is below my 800 CDN budget. So in short, I would go for a used amp with your budget.