What's new

Any Death Becomes Her news? (1 Viewer)

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything new about a new release of this. A special edition would be great (with all the deleted scenes, if possible), but I'd settle for just a nice anamorphic transfer. The old disc is at Wal-Mart for $8.44, and it is tempting, but it's MAR, of course. :frowning:

Anyone know anything? Something like DBH would have great potential for a cross-promotion with Universal's upcoming Hammer set. And while they're at it, so would Matinee and several others whose titles escape me right now.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
A SE is needed. The current edition is an Awful transfer. There are probably good supplements that could be added including the deleted scenes with Bruce Willis and Tracey Ullman.

Ditto for MATINEE. I never bought the Image edition.

Patrick Mirza

Supporting Actor
Thank goodness the Death Becomes Her laserdisc was widescreen. Everytime I want to see the film un-butchered I pop that in and get my fix.

A Special Edition is waaay overdue. I just gotta see the whole Tracey Ullman subplot including the alternate ending!

Chuck Pennington

Screenwriter
I made my own NTSC anamorphic upconversion of the 1.85:1 non-anamorphic Australian PAL release and slowed the image and sound down to the proper 24 fps. I also put in a tiny color correction to make the fleshtones more natural and less reddish.

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
It really is WAY beyond time for a Special Edition of this super fun flick!
C'mon Universal, it's a camp cult fav now (well it was deliberately camp to begin with but you know what I mean) and an oscar winner to boot!
This film needs a full-on SE. Just think how many would sell if they included the (hopefully not lost forever) large amounts of cut footage too! It's a film that imho gets funnier with age (I really didn't like it first time back in '92 for some reason but it's really really grown on me over the years)! It's also immensely quotable too!
So WHEN will this get the release it deserves?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hard to believe the way Universal double-, triple-, quadruple-dips on so many titles (such as "The Mummy" and "American Pie"), that they seem to keep ignoring this great title that desperately needs an upgrade.

Is there some legal reason holding this back?

I'm making mine as we speak... also throwing in some grain reduction since the old transfer looks REALLY bad; I guess they took the old laserdisc transfers to make the dvds...

You know the worst part? They're the type of company that probably uses slow sales of bad non-anamorphic/pan&scan dvds to justify NOT doing another release... And the same goes for "The Game" and "The Shadow" just to name a few.

C'mon Universal, it's 2008! These were cheap quality dvds back in 1997!

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So maybe we should all start buying the substandard versions in an effort to encourage a proper release! :laugh:

Heck, if they would just release "Death Becomes Her" with a new, anamorphic transfer, I would buy it. If they made it a special edition, I would happily buy it and, if they made it a GOOD special edition, I would make it my wife.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Sorry, went a bit too far there...
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Perhaps, instead of calling it the "Ultimate Collector's Edition," they should have called it the "Basic Pleasure-Model Edition?":D

Oh, i forgot... Here's another one: Universal's "Conan the Destroyer" - still non-anamorphic (even though MGM has it in Region 4!)

Me too, Bradley.

Last night, a friend linked me to the YouTube clip of Helen Sharp in the psych ward and I couldn't stop laughing. I noticed that the clip has thirty thousand views - not a bad number... there must be a market out there for this over-looked jem. And 50M in box office receipts should warrant a new release with better treatment.

Got the letterboxed LD out this morning and hooked up my LD player, but the disc looked like crap when projected. I guess DVD anamorphic and hi-def has spoiled me.

Anybody notice how many "in one" shots there are in this film? Zemekis' use of mirrors to extend those long in one shots and the irony of that: the film is about the power of vanity! I forgot how great the direction is.

Can anyone tell me how the 1:33 Dvd looks? I read somewhere that the OAR is still there, just unmasked.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks